SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pebbles1977_gw

Our first 'old' home - need some help

pebbles1977
18 years ago

Ok, a little background. I don't know if anyone remembers, but awhile back I was asking about an older home we were looking to buy. Well, to make a long story short, we didn't end up staying in that area, but rather moved back to my hometown and as of this week moved into my great grandparents' home.

My mother has had possession of this house since they died, and decided to rent it out under a rental management company. Well, needless to say when we actually got to do a walkthrough this week after the last renters moved out, we were disappointed in the shape of the house. Not only did they leave it very dirty, but they also took with the many of the antique light fixtures, racks, and even the faces of the smoke detectors! They were instructed not to nail anything into the plaster walls, and of course they did. There is a huge, very badly repaired hole in one of the walls (about 8" in diameter), and nails and badly repaired nail holes everywhere. There is also chewing gum stuck on the hardwood floors.

That last issue I guess is my biggest question for you guys. How do you safely remove gum and pricing stickers, as well as dripped paint from hardwoods? And while I'm on it, what is the best way to repair badly repaired plaster walls? My husband and I want to do right by this house and we've promised my mother that we would.

I know we'll have many many other questions (like why would anyone in their right mind put peel and stick flooring, badly, on kitchen countertops???), but we'll get to that later. If you guys have any ideas, we'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Comments (8)