SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakoda_fandry

Polyurethane Help!

Woody EK
6 years ago

I’ve done a ton of research over the last month and still don’t have a definitive answer. I have sanded my floor with a drum sander and edger. Then sanded with a pole sander with 120, 180, and 220 grit. I vacuumed between every sanding. Then I stained with Minwax golden pecan oil stain. The floors are oak. There’s a few spots where the color didn’t absorb too well but overall very happy with it. The floors don’t show any scratches or imperfections through the stain.

Now, there’s about 900 sq feet of hardwood oak floor we are redoing. We have three small dogs.

Some places say you need to seal after staining. Others say that’s a myth. Some places say you need to sand between coats. Other places say that’s a myth. Some places say Bona Traffic HD is more scratch and water resistant than Duraseal. Others say it’s not going to be that noticeable. I’ve read major horror stories on bona scratching super easily.

My questions are:

Do I need a sealer before polyurethane if I’ve already stained?

Will imperfections in the sanding show more when polyurethane is applied? Will be using satin sheen fwiw.

Is Bona Traffic HD going to last longer and be more dog scratch resistant than Duraseal?

Will the Bona stand up to any pet accidents better and not allow them to soak in and damage the floor? This rarely happens, but worth considering.

Finally, do I need to sand between coats? Or should I only sand after the second coat and then apply the final coat(s)?

Comments (19)