SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsti

Scary Kitchen Remodel or Start Over

mrsti
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Things I don't like about my kitchen: The cabinets are orange, counters are gold granite, floor is dated tile, and the style is subtle Tuscany.

The biggest problem with updating my kitchen: Cabinets are custom and high quality with little show of wear, the tile floor is installed under the cabinets.

The plan: Install hardwood floor, paint the cabinets an off white (Swiss Coffee), update counters and backsplash, change island to a brown walnut stain,

update lighting fixtures. (sorry about posting two images - can't seem to fix it)

The kitchen is 15 years old. In order to start fresh I have had quotes of $80-$120k. I'd rather not. I've gotten quotes to paint the cabinets with a factory finish and looked into shifting the cabinet color but that would mean to a darker shade and it's a west facing room so brighter light is in the afternoon. I'm afraid dark cabinets will feel heavy.

My fears are this:

The cabinets need to be disassembled to install wood floor or even tile floor should I go that route. They are built in with special molding that I fear will get damaged. I also worry they might not go back in place as perfectly as the original installation. Are these legitimate concerns? Will the finished product actually look like an update?

I'm just not sure people take apart kitchens and put them back together successfully. And not sure it's worth all the trouble. If I didn't have to remove cabinets for the floor my decision might be easier.

I'd appreciate comments regarding the feasibility of these kitchen goals.

Thanks!

Mrs T

Played around with color to try to visualize darker shade.

Comments (11)