SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trashcanman

Security camera suggestions for a new build?

Michael Lamb
6 years ago

I want to get security cameras for my new house for the exterior, and maybe inside the garage. This is not for coverage during the construction/build phase, but after we move in. Currently I don't think the neighborhood warrants a camera system for security, but they incredibly easy to install during the build vs after the house is done. And then after I've had an incident, its too late...

I'm looking for something that would support like 5 or 6 cameras, detects motion and sends me alerts, I can view the feed from my phone, and footage is stored in the cloud. If the thieves break in and steal the DVR, I don't want to loose the evidence.

I currently have an indoor nest cam and arlo cam. Nest charges like $10 a month per camera to be able to record your footage and view it later, only option is cloud storage. Arlo is better in that there is no monthly fee, and your footage is available for review for like 5 to 7 days afterwards for free. But the Arlo has issues, it disconnects every few weeks and does not come back online until I notice it and power cycle it.

I'm looking for a solution with no fee or a low monthly fee. I prefer wired, just so I don't have to worry about recharging or batteries. Smartthings integration would be nice. I don't want to go with a security monitoring service like ADT or simply safe. Getting tired of all the subscription services out there and the slow constant financial drain. Any suggestions?

Comments (37)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio