SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_wigginsking

Enclosing a porch

Ashley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We were hit about a month ago by a tornado. One of the things that was damaged was my back porch. We've been discussing doing *something* with this porch for years and now seems as good of a time as any since the roof is getting torn off and replaced anyway.

This porch apparently started out life as a patio, which was then covered and screened in sometime 35+ years ago. My ideal solution would be to put in windows, insulated walls, and a zero-clearance fireplace and make it sort of a three-season porch. No plumbing, no HVAC. It already has some electrical run to it. I'd probably want to relocate the light fixtures, but they are getting removed and reset anyway, so I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make.

I'm concerned about the foundation. It's a cement slab, though I have no idea about the thickness of the slab. I suspect that it's already not thick enough to properly handle the weight of the roof and the bit of framing that holds the screens in place. So, I doubt that adding more weight to it is going to fly with the inspectors. Is there any alternative to tearing the slab out and repouring it?

Comment (1)