SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nobody_cool

Starting over with a yard/ground cover

Nobody Cool
6 years ago

Hello!

We have a small-ish yard which has gone completely to weeds. I am trying to figure out our best option to reclaim our yard with a suitable ground cover at minimal expense. I have been considering buying a propane "weed torch" to effectively burn the existing ground cover--to basically start all over. I imagine my process might consist of:

1) cut down, rake out existing weeds

2) burn remaining coverage

3) rake out burnt weed debris/rough grade yard

4) wait a week for new growth to emerge

5) burn any new growth (2nd burn)

6) seed area with appropriate ground cover

7) water/care for new lawn

I am interested in Dichondra, though I would like to know if it will cover a large area well. I liked Dichondra's appearance, low height, and no mow traits. I've noticed in seed reviews that not all folks have had success with the seed itself. I've looked into replacing the top soil, and also layering with cardboard, then new topsoil, but truckloads of topsoil seem to be out of our budget. I would love to hear opinions on my proposed process, weed torch burning, or any other potentially effective methods, as well as thoughts about a fast growing, weed-blocking ground cover suitable for zone 7. Lots of folks around here use tall fescue, though I would be delighted to avoid grass that needs a lot of water/mowing/care. We are at our wits' end, and need to do something that works this year. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations