SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
07cooper

New Build SE NC - insulation and HVAC questions

07Cooper
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

2085 sq ft on a crawlspace - 2 story house: 1st floor -1485 sq ft, 2nd floor - 600

The house is 1 room deep with 2 wings. Bedroom wing has master, laundry and powder room down with 2 bedrooms and bath above and the other wing is 1 level and encompasses the family, dining and kitchen.

2x4 and 2x6 16oc framing

Insulation: walls R13 & R19, floors R19 and ceilings R30. Original plan was to have open cell spray foam in attic but builder suggested cutting it to save money along with the Roxul sound insulation with resilient strips in master bedroom ceiling.

Casement, fixed & awning windows - Sunrise

Builders suggestion for HVAC:

4ton 15 seer lennox 1 stage cooling/2 stage heating 2 zone heat pump OR

4ton 20 seer lennox variable speed multi stage 2 zone heat pump OR

two trane 16 seer variable speed heat pump

If attic is conditioned the ducting should be located up there but conditioned attics will increase the monthly electric bill? If the crawlspace is encapsulated could the ductwork be located under the house? We do gets some nights where it gets below freezing.

Best practices for insulating this house? Considering using dow board for additional insulation and/or requiring all exterior walls be 2x6.

I have attempted to educate myself but the more I read the more confused I get. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Hoping for some advice to get me pointed in the right direction.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths