SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_bardsley

budget friendly update to split foyer exterior-ideas?

James Bardsley
6 years ago

Hi There,

I've seen some great advice on this site for updating some split foyers, but none seemed to have started as plain as mine. 1976 split foyer. sides and rear of house is siding for upper section/orangy stucco on bottom section. Most of the inside was renovated as part of the purchase, but the exterior still bothers me. Thought about deleting shutters and giving wide white framing to windows (except maybe not the basement windows-camouflaging them instead?). Also thought about having the siding painted and either staining or painting the brick as well. The brick is wacky with a ton of different colors from creams/oranges/reds/blacks. I was mainly gravitating towards blues or grays with white trim. Door change also in consideration. Roofing may need to be redone soon, so I'm really not worried about pulling color from up there.

I live in a water access suburb near Annapolis. Large mature trees are abundant and are part of what I loved about the neighborhood. Almost all of the homes in my neighborhood are split foyers/side splits/ranchers and vinyl siding and shutters dominate. I like the industrial/midcentury modern looks people suggest for dealing with split foyers, and if the river community vibe could be incorporated, it would be even better. Just don't know what could be accomplished with around 5K in the budget.

Please throw some ideas my way!

Comments (14)