SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Some thoughts on Philip Pullman's latest

laceyvail 6A, WV
6 years ago

Just a warning, spoilers here for those who haven't read His Dark Materials.

I read HDM several years ago, and while I admire Pullman's terrific writing, I found the trilogy quite disturbing. Throughout the entire thing, I expected that the "villain" would turn out to be organized religion, not religion and the belief in a God itself. The end, when all the trapped souls simply disintegrate into what seems to be nothing, disturbed me. I've always believed that children should be allowed to read a very wide range of books, but I would not want a child I cared about to read HDM without discussing it afterwards with me.

Now I'm nearly finished with the first volume in Pullman's trilogy that starts with the infancy of the protagonist of HDM, Lyra. Surely all the children who read HDM and loved it would want to read it. But, who does Pullman imagine his readers are? While the general style of this book is clearly a YA novel, there are references to pederasty, the use of the young male protagonist as a bait for a pederast, and a scene where the young boy sees and mostly overhears-pretty graphically--an act of intercourse.

I am certainly no prude, but how can this possibly be appropriate for the many children, some younger than 12, who will be reading this?

While I know that most of you will jump to say, it isn't appropriate, I'd really like to hear from those of you who have started the new trilogy--The Book of Dust", Vol 1-La Belle Sauvage."

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!