SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47798884

uneven heat in my split level

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

my house heats unevenly. we have a (brand new, very excellent) heat pump that uses our existing duct system. if I warm the lower rooms, the living room gets too hot.* I'm thinking of closing off vents in the living room, letting the heat from the lower rooms rise up. below is a diagram of my house as viewed from the side so you can see how it's set up.

the trouble is, I read that closing registers can be bad for circulation, wasting heat trapped in the closed off ducts. also that the change in pressure causes the heater to have to work harder. I think that advice might be only for people who are trying to entirely close off unused rooms -- I'm not. all doors are open most of the time. I just want to balance the heat.

one other thought is to schedule running the fan to circulate the heat instead? we're about to install Nest temperature sensors in the lower rooms so maybe I can get the nest to run the fan when it needs it.

thoughts?

*I do realize the lower floors are cooler due to crawl space and the basement only having one vent. we'll eventually get new insulation, but it won't be for a while.

Comments (5)