SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sb04

Help with how to arrange furniture in this room

sb04
6 years ago

I'm attaching a floorpan of our great room. It is open to the kitchen on one side, has huge floor to ceiling windows on one side, a stone wall fireplace with built-ins on one side, and the remaining side has only a half wall and the rest is open which leads into the foyer, dining room, and office. We have been in the house 4 years and have had it set up a certain way but never loved the furniture arrangement. We are now bringing that furniture down into the basement and starting from scratch in the great room. Here's my dilemna. This is our main "family/hangout" area so the TV is an important part of the room. The TV is large (70") and is mounted on that half wall (11' wall). It can ONLY go in this area because of the stone fireplace on the back wall (it's too high to mount it over the fireplace, nor do I want to because I don't want to cover up the gorgeous stone work). I need help arranging furniture that does not cut off the room or make it seem smaller. We currently have a sectional but I feel like it cuts half the room off so it doesn't feel as open to the kitchen, and then the other side of the room seems empty and off balanced.. I'm open to all suggestions. We are fine with getting another sectional, or freestanding couches, chairs, etc., whatever. I just want the room to feel open and spacious, allow us to watch tv comfortably, and also highlights the stone fireplace as the focal point of the room. Bonus for anyone who can draw over the floorpan with furniture placement ideas. Really I just want to see as many different furniture arrangements as possible and to see what others would do with this room given a blank slate. I'm purposely not attaching pictures of the way it is set up now because I want to see what people come up with just based on the layout. Greatly appreciative for any help or opinions!!

Comments (4)