SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellohouse

Narrow urban backyard - how to lay out?

jellohouse
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have a small, narrow backyard that's about 19 feet wide x 53 feet long. There's a 7 ft tall wall along the back (the 53' side) that separates our property from the neighbors.

Main use of the backyard will be for BBQs (we like to have people over for BBQ at least once a month) and for our toddler kids to play in. Our house is in a tropical climate, so having shade from the sun is very important and we want to have lots of lush tropical plants. It also needs to be low maintenance, as we are not at all experienced or skilled gardeners!

I'm thinking of doing a paved patio area right in front of the stairs that lead out from the house (what's marked as "patio"). This area (approximately 21 ft x 15 ft) would be used for BBQs and seating. I'd like to put a planter along that back wall so that when you look out from the patio doors you can see lots of greenery. Something like this:

Or maybe a vertical garden, but seems very high maintenance?

What would you suggest for shade over the patio area? I'm thinking either a sunsail (inexpensive and easy) or a pergola with bougainvillea or other vines growing over (prettier, but more difficult and potentially high maintenance). I do love the look of bougainvillea, and it seems like all our neighbors have it so it's very suitable for our climate.

Then for the area to the left (marked as "back garden"), I'm thinking of just doing a simple lawn with some more tropical plants along the walls and in the corner. Would this be good for small kids to play on, or would you recommend a paved surface?

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Comments (7)