SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahelmers1

WWYD - Vacation Home Hosting Request

runninginplace
6 years ago

As the poster who is always brave about telling folks how to stand up and say no, it's now my turn to ask a shrinking violet question :)

I got a text earlier today from my technically-cousin; she's actually my adult son/DIL's age, the daughter of my first cuz. We aren't super close, although she and her husband live ~ 2 hours north and brought their sailboat down for our holiday gathering at our vacation house for Christmas. They stayed on the boat and came over daily to hang out with the family, take a shower, wash clothes etc. It was a nice visit, they are a cute couple, both veterinarians so very responsible etc.

The cousin asked if we will be down there this weekend and when I responded yes she said she, her husband and their friend-best man at their wedding-were coming to the Keys Saturday, staying overnight. Recognizing a hint when I read one ;), I then checked with my husband and with his immediate assent invited her and her husband to stay in our downstairs apartment which will be empty. And then (cue thunderclap of hostess etiquette doom) the text response came back asking if best man can stay too.

Oh dear. I will state unequivocally I do NOT want to host a stranger; not only does that bother me in terms of having someone I don't know in my house the invitation has now turned into having family and someone I don't know who are basically using us as a free AirBnb...at least that's how I feel. OTOH it's a family member, albeit not a close one, asking. OTOOH if I say no I doubt they will come back, but if I say yes my husband has already said 'I don't want to see them again ever.'

So, what's the concensus? I'm leaning toward texting back the truth which will be a simple response along the line of 'that won't work for us, as we only host friends and family at the vacation house.' It's simple and the truth. Second choice is a white lie that Son/DIL may come down after all so we want to keep the apartment open--but that really doesn't sit right with me. Distant third option is to allow them to come with their friend and then never invite them or allow them to invite themselves again.

What say you, etiquette-family politics-vacation house owners?

Comments (3)