SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner78_js

new homeowner, old yard

Jeff
6 years ago

So I've entered the endeavor of home ownership. I have also inherited an 83 yr old lawn. The home was refurbished and brought back to life. Unfortunately they didn't try as hard on the outside. Before the property was a jungle. A crab apple tree in the front yard and a plethora of random out of control shrubs and weeds. So the renovation people clear cut everything, chopped the fence down at ground level and didn't uproot anything. We moved in during the peak of winter so now were finally able to get outside a start up on some things. So far we've had the crab apple tree removed and a few others. They laid a seed carpet down on top of everything with that plastic mesh for erosion control which wasn't needed. the leaves weren't raked before the snow fell on top of it all causing a rotting layer of leaves. So the grass is trashed and we're working on raking up the leaves as weather permits and to boot the plastic mesh didn't decompose making raking really fun. Now there are random bulbs and scattered perennials popping up everywhere. What can I do to start repairing years of neglect? I understand Thinks wont be completely fixed this year but I don't want to waste money throwing seed or fertilizer that wont help. Thank you in advance. I am in Wisconsin Zone 5b.

Comments (4)