SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bagendek

New homeowner, new to the valley, new (to me) plants

bagendek
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I am new to home ownership and after growing up in the White Mountains of Arizona, I now own my first home in Gilbert and keeping things alive in the desert is all new to me. I would like to maintain my landscape myself, but I am not sure what kind of general maintenance my plants need and how often. If anyone can identify the plants I have and let me know any tips to care for them, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Plant 1: Bougainvillea

I have 6 of these. One on a trellis, two medium sized ones, and three smaller ones. The smaller ones got hit by the frost a couple of weeks ago and I'm assuming I will need to prune the dead parts. Should I wait until after the last freeze? How far back should I cut it?

{{gwi:394496}}

Plant 2: Lantana

This one was hit the hardest by the freeze. Same questions about cutting it back - when and how far?

{{gwi:394498}}

Plant 3: ???

I'm not sure what this is, and I've been pulling up those small plants/weeds around this one since the picture was taken. Any tips on controlling these weeds?

{{gwi:394499}}

Plant 4: ???

This had little purple flowers on it until the freeze. My realtor identified it and told me it would grow into a hedge eventually (there are a couple of them under a window) but I didn't take note of what it was at the time.

{{gwi:394502}}

Plant 5:

Again, is it safe to cut the dead parts off? Should I do it now or later?

{{gwi:394504}}

Plant 6:

I have 4 or 5 of these grassy bushes against a wall in the back yard. Should I do anything with them this spring?

{{gwi:394506}}

Thank you for any and all help and guidance! If you have any good materials for me to reference, I'd love to take a look at any of your recommendations.

Comments (5)