SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_700922

Does brown leather and grey couch work together?

AJW
6 years ago
Need some advice on the layout of my family room. Husband wants a leather recliner couch. I want more of a fabric style. Don’t really care for matched sets. However, I feel like I am stepping out of bounds with these two colored couches in one room. Would love opinions. Also we replaced the built in bookshelf and made a place for the TV to hang on the wall.

Comments (53)

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m good with either a grey or beige couch color. Hubby wants at least 2 recliners or none at all due to keeping it fair for our two teens as they watch tv. ( this has been an issue in the past). I’m struggling also with the layout since the tv is mounted on the wall on the LH side of the room. I want to make the whole room look balanced in some way but easy enough for viewing.
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Get two of the nicer looking recliners. Will the teens want to sit side-by-side like a couple would?

• Related Discussions

Black leather and brown leather together, in the same room??

Q

Comments (17)
    I don't see it clashing..black and brown-one of the world's most popular combinations..if it exists in nature a lot it can be in a room too..that's what I believe in these two are interesting colors to bring together, and all the pieces share some very similar sensibility so to say repeat the colors, even if in small things..you know what you're drawn to, in sense of style..I think you'll figure it out different legs wouldn't bug me as long as they have similar though behind them(simple, streamlined in this case..or similar in shape somewhat..)if anything I'd go not for metal but for other material..can't see what the black chair's legs are?..
    ...See More

grey walls with brown leather furniture

Q

Comments (4)
    I have lighter grey walls, charcoal grey carpet and a brown leather sofa. I opted for no curtains (for now). In your case, if you are really wanting curtains, I'd go with a textured white with either a subtle grey stripe or no grey. You could also use this as a chance to introduce an actual color to your space. How about a minty green or sage (the new it color for 2018). (Here is mine, with no curtains and green accents.)
    ...See More

Brown Leather and teal leather sofa/recliner combo? Crazy?

Q

Comments (5)
    What you may want to do is use teal as a trim on a piece(s) and also in pillows on the sofa, Highlight the recliners with it, don't order them all in that color. Teal is vivid, and works best using it on gimp, welt trim, panels and the like. Now, you will have to use a maker that will do this for you, but many domestic ones can easily handle it. Just to show you what I mean, here's a chair I brought into my store for floor stock, yet I wanted to jazz it up a little. This is a Hancock and Moore Expedition Chair, and I used a brown suede in the side detail panel, then a specialty cross hatch hide on the inner back to create a unique look rather than doing the whole piece on a solid leather. A little detail in the trim work can go a long ways.
    ...See More

Does this rug and sofa work together?

Q

Comments (29)
    @jennifer yay! I think the pieces will all come together with a few coordinating throw pillows. I plan to take a pic of my sister's rug and artwork when I'm at her house tomorrow to show you the beautiful greens❤️
    ...See More
  • AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are a couple more pics that show the whole room. Would love advice on layout as well as color. I have some red accents in my house already but I am hoping to change those down to more neutral tones. I have more of a farmhouse/ industrial style throughout.
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The floor looks good. Please post the room measurements. What room/wall is behind you from viewpoint?

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Room is approx 17x19. Photo is of kitchen behind. Sorry for the mess
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

I hope there's a plan for the space beneath the TV.

I would not do that puffy reclining loveseat. Do two more smaller scale recliners with an end table in between. I would probably put them in front of the windows with sofa facing the TV, then mount the TV on an articulating arm so it can be adjusted to view from all angles.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That’s a good idea. However we had the flexible tv arm that would adjust, but hubby decided to make it stationary. Underneath, we are putting a entertainment console. What is your opinion of this layout, except the chairs would be leather recliners facing tv with table in between. Since we have the long wall on the side, it might be nice to utilize it with a couch or loveseat.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

The only problem with seating on the long wall is that it won't be comfortable for watching TV.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow, I don’t know how you did this, but very cool. Just thought someone would be laying down on sofa facing tv, but maybe not. Perhaps I should think more of a sectional? You are quite helpful.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Are the teens the only ones who usually watch tv here? And what is to the left: any doorways into the room other than the kitchen?

An L shaped sectional with ottoman with one leg on the window wall plus a recliner on the left might be a good option. That way someone could recline and someone could sit in the corner of the L. And when there are more people viewing (you and husband, friends) they can sit with their feet up on the ottoman.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Is this type of sectional you mean? Also the other picture is exactly our model but opposite.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I would choose one without the chaise on the side, and put the reclining chair on the left instead. That will keep those bickering teens out of each other's personal space a little better :)

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Keep shopping. We bought this sectional - both ends are recliners. We love it in our cozy (small) TV room.

I designed the sections from options. We also wanted two recliners and I didn't want that puffy recliner look.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha, yes those bickering teen (girls). We as a family would use it to watch tv or movie nights, so that’s why I am wondering if we should keep the chaise
  • AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Love the sectional. Do you mind me asking where you got it?
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

I got it a Jordon's Furniture in the Boston Area. They are a regional brand.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

How old are they? In our family it's the 11-14 year span that is the worst, and nearing 15 they just sort of have a more "eh, whatever" approach. But obviously that's highly indivual!

For us, the L with ottoman and one recliner works well. The more entitled "princess" sits on her throne (lol) and the rest of us pile on the sofa, feet up on the ottoman or perpendicular leg.

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Are you putting the doors back on the section below the TV? --

Edit -- Do what groveraxl showed up above with just two bigger doors.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lindsey, you are cracking me up. Don’t know if you have girls or boys, but I think you get it. . My girls are almost 14 and 16. My older daughter had back surgery a little while ago and we have a recliner down in our basement where she would always sit. So, my younger daughter asked if there was anyway that we could have two recliners up stairs so that it would be fair.
    Yes, we have a console that we are getting soon to out under the tv in that whole.
    Thanks for the sofa recommendation. I will look around.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I have both girls (5, ages 8-14) and boys (ages 3 and almost 7) :) People think little boys are more difficult/rowdy. They are wrong. Lol

Our oldest is turning 15 this summer and we have quite a few older nieces and nephews too so I've seen this progression into adulthood intimately. It's pretty amazing what a year will do in a person's willingness and ability to "let it go".

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So as far as color choices between the different pieces of furniture whatever that may be, would you choose brown leather/ grey or brown leather/ beige (or even cream color)? I really prefer the look of a couch and chairs vs sectional, but I want it to be more useful and comfy.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I think brown and grey can be combined really effectively as long as there is a strong contrast. So in essence, charcoal and tan or chocolate and light grey. Leather for one thing (sofa or chairs) and upholstered for the other.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I agree. I want to do some grey, but also worried that it is just a fad. I have posted a couple of pics of how I would like to see it laid out. First pic is if I go with matching couches, 2nd pic is if I go with sectional, however I would like a chaise on both sides, ur enough room for a wooden coffee table. 3rd pic is if the two chairs (and maybe not even have to be reclining) are positioned in the back. The last pic is the style I am going for. Got these all off of pinterest
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

I agree with Lindsey on the brown and gray. And on the leather and fabric. Just make sure any gray you put with brown is a WARM gray.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh just noticed you have two posts..I just made suggestion on your other post..nice to hear you created a spot for the tv next to the fireplace!

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Didn’t know that post went through. I was having trouble with it earlier. Was it the same topic or different? I will have to try to find what you said
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Actually, you have three posts on this topic, webuser. Go to your profile page and click the link for "Activity." Then on the left, click posts and will show all the discussions you have started.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Groveraxel. I found them all. I was having trouble posting and so I thought I would keep trying, but apparently they all went through. How embarrassing. Do you know if there is a way to combine them all into one, so people aren’t seeing many of them?
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

There are only a couple of comments on each of those posts, so I would write a new comment that says DUPLICATE POST on each one, then add a link to this post.

There's no really way to combine posts. You may still be able to delete them, of that I am not sure.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

What are the room dimensions?

just guessing?...why not a recliner sectional and one small accent chair next to fireplace..

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I think this probably would work the best. I just wasn’t sure if I wanted a sectional. I am thinking of something like this one from the picture. Not sure if I want it to be all leather. I like a fabric piece more. I think I would even have room to add an accent chair next to it along with one by the fireplace. Let me know what you think. Dimensions are 17x19 approx.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

You will need a sectional that has a corner piece not a curve..this will be to big for your room....I would not add any wedges with cup holders..way to media room looking..keep it classic in style simple..what is the size of that sectional? It looks Hugh!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

It also has the drawback of only really allowing two to sit in comfort while watching tv. Anyone else has their profile to the screen.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It’s actually not that big compared to other reclining sectional. Also, we would definitely get rid of the cup holder piece. Not my style either. Don’t know exact dimensions. Other reclining sectionals seem so big and media like. Perhaps I should just forgo the reclining part and do a regular one or two couches. Here are a couple layouts I am looking at. Just don’t know if all pieces have to be right in front of tv. Also, I could just put a chair on the long wall directed toward the tv, just like the pic with the grey sofas. Thanks for all your feedback. So very helpful.
  • AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Agreed Lindsey. That’s what my husband is worried about too. But, if we only focus on one part of the room, then the other part feels off balance unless I make a separate small two chair conversation area.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Here is a layout with 17’ wide 19’ long

has a 10’x10’ sectional

would need a 10’x12’ rug

this sectional is only 32” deep

2 chairs 35”x35”

with 24” square end tables

36” square coffee table but could go larger..only size I have

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like it!!! Now, just got to find the furniture at a reasonable price due to budget. I think I am going to forgo the reclining part.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

You could do 2 regular sofas no recliners...add two swivel glider chairs for viewing TV and Fireplace..

I have sofas facing each other with two smaller swivel rockers facing TV and love it...17’ wide is plenty space..from back of sofa to back of sofa is 12’ in my room

Saddlebrook...My Home · More Info
    let me lay it out real quick...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would do a large rectangle coffee table..

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Well, something's got to give. Either both girls get a recliner and parents are SOL, or you choose a layout that is attractive and sensible for the room as a whole and no one reclines lol. Or only those with a medical need recline ;)

The first pic you posted in the last batch, with the two white sofas and two grey chairs, would work really well in your room. One of the chairs could recline. If you wanted you could use a sectional in place of the two white sofas. That's similar to what I was suggesting above. If you have an ottoman to put your feet up on would your younger daughter feel that was fair? Or would it make your husband more comfortable with saying, "life's not fair kid"?

NOT giving parenting advice here.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Home interior, are you thinking I should put the sofa that is on the LH side closer in and have both of them be centered in the room, or would it look ok to have the one in the wall and then the other in the middle of the room. Put 2 chairs next to RH window wall for balance
  • AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lindsey, completely agree! They should just be happy for something to sit on. :)
    I think the decision is between the sectional or two sofas facing each other. If I do a sectional with a chaise, I feel like that’s going to get in the way of a coffee table or ottoman
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No chaise if you do a sectional...

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    LOVE your room! Its beautiful and arranged so nice
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Thank you!:) we love it and so comfy for watching TV..I love my swivel rockers! Sitting in it right now:) when my kids come to visit (29 and 31) they love laying on each sofa and watching TV or enjoying the fireplace..I also have 2 small 18” square ottomans we move around the room as needed they have casters...to put feet up or sit close to the fireplace..if playing cards we pull them up to the coffee table.

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sounds nice. Would you mind giving me feedback on the question I had earlier about the two facing each other but having the sofa on the wall. Yours is set up so that the tv is centered. My problem is the tv is not centered.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would not center it to the TV but centered in the room....with this nice open space TV viewing will be no issue.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

AJW..any luck shopping yesterday?

• AJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m going today to check out some sectionals and sofas. Perhaps I will go with gray but I am also leaning towards beige (lighter/darker) along with maybe a leather accent chair and/or fabric cream chairs. I really like more the neutral colors and then perhaps add a little color. Thanks for drawing up those room diagrams. Leaning more towards the sectional idea. Hubby didn’t like that at least one or part of the sofa wouldn’t be straight towards the tv. Loved all your help and suggestions. Of course I will post pics once everything is finalized.