SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19707328

Is Your Tap Water Safe To Drink Or Use In The Garden?

User
6 years ago

I don't think so.

Even if all is well at The Treatment Plant, there is so much that water can be exposed to between there and your kitchen sink. Especially if your home, or the water lines that deliver the water TO your home, are older than just a few years.

We cannot afford to depend upon the EPA to protect us from water contamination, or anything else for that matter. There are so many contaminants in our water that they don't consider to be unsafe. But, here in America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, shouldn't we have the right to choose?

If you do much reading about things that are done "for the public good", you will soon run into many who consider the addition of fluoride into our water supply as a bad thing. Here is a link to some interesting information about that, presented at Dallas City Hall by Dr. Paul Connett in 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xguPD85-BH4

Not to mention how difficult it is to find toothpaste or mouthwash that doesn't contain fluoride.

Not to mention that fluoride is not the only intentional contaminant in our tap water. There's chlorine added to kill bacteria. When we water our garden from our home's water hydrant, we are contaminating our soil and therefore our plants, with whatever's in that water.

We are also discouraged from disposing of any of our pharmaceuticals by flushing them because it has been found that some of these drugs do not process out. It is folly to trust that NOBODY is flushing drugs. Seriously, there is a large population in America that either doesn't know, doesn't believe, or doesn't care. Even if you have a septic tank, where do you think the septic tank truck goes when it's full?

For a long time, we felt safe drinking water that was filtered. And then, we found out that there are not many filters that can remove anything beyond particulates. So many of us started buying bottled water. Now, we are hearing that certain elements of the plastic that the bottles are made of are getting into the water that's in the bottle. Not to mention that our landfills are now littered with them. Also, not to mention, that what's shown on the bottle label as "spring water" is now said to actually just be tap water from some other place, we know not where.

When we lived in town, I bought a water distiller. This was because the small town in which we lived was in the habit of flushing the lines every now and then. We'd do a load of wash and find our white clothing washing in rusty-looking water. We'd fill a glass with water at the tap and it would be brown, sometimes with stuff in it that would settle to the bottom of the glass. And I still use the distiller, now that we live in the country. When the distiller is finished, I find about a tablespoon of dark brown liquid in the bottom, and it stinks. And there's a coating of lime on the whole inside, where the water boiled as the steam fed into the evaporator coils. I've read that the only way contaminants can be dependably removed from water is via steam evaporation or by reverse osmosis.

Even this is not a perfect situation. It takes time to do. But at least I'm not lugging home case after case of bottled water. There's the cost of the distiller, but it pays for itself eventually if it replaces bottled water. There are some who say that, once it's distilled or "osmosed", the water is "dead": devoid of any of the trace minerals that we need to have in our water. So what are we to do? Why, we buy Trace Minerals, and we put 20 bitty drops of it in each gallon. Can we trust the efficacy of these Trace Minerals? I don't know. It seems like everybody lies to us now. And it is sold to us in a plastic bottle. *Sigh*.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County