SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flower_painter

Any Rose Midge Advice?

K S
6 years ago

So last year at least one of the roses I received from a mail order grower was infected with midge. I'm still not sure who sent me the infected rose -- I have some ideas, but don't want to level any accusations against the wrong grower. Insects are mobile, and they sat in pots together for a while, so... Unfortunately I didn't notice this immediately, and now I have a (for now, limited) area that seems to be infected with midge. Has anyone on the forum ever eradicated midge from their garden? Or is this just something I am going to have to manage forever? What a shame that I didn't take better pest control measures with new roses! From now on, every time I get a new rose through the mail I am immediately pruning off the growth tips, re-potting, and discarding the old potting soil. Do you all think that should be enough to avoid future midge importation (assuming I can get rid of the midges that are here)? What do you do, to avoid importing nasty bugs on the plants you order?

My current line of thinking is to prune off new growth on affected plants and spray neem oil on and around the plant every day. Not enough? Maybe I'll put down some plastic too. Has anyone tried nematodes? I dislike using even neem oil. Live and learn! LOL!

Comments (31)