SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldrosegirl

Problems getting espalier apples and pears to bloom

oldrosegirl
6 years ago

Hello everyone. New to this forum. Used to frequent the antique rose form years ago but today's post has to do with an espalier problem. My husband and I planted 2 apples (King David and Golden Grimes ), 2 different pears with good fireblight resistance that are supposed to cross pollinate, 2 peaches, and a plum on an espalier we created in middle tennessee 4 years ago. I have done quite a bit of reading but have not been able to follow someone in real life on how to prune espaliers. My peaches/plums are fanned and blooming/bearing well. However the apples/pears that are supposed to form spurs are not blooming at all. I do alot of pruning during the year as we get alot of sun and though they are supposedly on dwarf rootstock, they do ALOT of growing during the year. I have asked River Road Farm in TN if I could come and observe pruning but they were not amenable to that idea. I am desperately needing advise on what I am doing wrong. Anyone familiar with my problem??? Any observations would be so appreciated.

Comments (3)