SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gail_williams60

broccoli florets growing in yellow, what's up?

Gail Williams
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am growing "artwork stir fry" broccoli this year for the first time. this type of broccoli is not grown for a large primary head but rather for prolific side-shoot production that occurs after harvesting the head at the growing tip when it is still a small size.

The plants are a proper size. The leaves are nice and green. I know that *old* broccoli florets can go yellow just before they flower. However, my broccoli florets are *starting out yellow* when the merge from the plant. Since i've never grown broccoli before, I don't know if the florets "green up" once they get a little bigger, or if the yellow florets is a sign of an nutrient deficiency.

The leaves are all nice and green - i always thought nitrogen deficiencies show up in older leaf growth first.

Is this normal? Do broccoli florets start out yellow when tiny and then get greener over time? They are in a mixture of potting soil and organic compost, each in its own 5-10 gal pot. when they were set in as seedlings, i did that thing where you push firmly on the dirt to make sure the roots have good contact, and the plants don't show any signs of disease. they get watered whenever the soil is even a little dry, and once a week get dilute fertilizer (high-N until the first floret showed up, then 7-7-7 thereafter).

Any help appreciated - space is a premium in my garden, and i am giving all my prime real estate to these broccoli!

Comments (15)