SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolatebunny123

Restaining vs replacing cabinets

Apologies if this is a dumb question...

Background: I joined GardenWeb back in 2010 when I was looking to update my kitchen. Needless to say, 8 years later, that update has still not been done. Between 2 job loses and more pressing issues (new HVAC among other things) the kitchen had to be put on the backburner.

The time has now come where I can update things. The layout is fine; we aren't moving plumbing or doing anything structural. But I would like new countertops and a backsplash. We replaced the white appliances and have stainless now, which looks so much better than the original white, and was able to keep me from pining over new kitchens for quite a while.

My cabinets are 20 year old birch wood. They were installed by the builder (house is 20 years old) as an upgrade as this was a spec house (and we are not the original owners). They are stained a medium brown color which has held up pretty well overall, however there are several areas, mainly the island, where the stain in sorely wearing down. We have the same cabinets throughout the house and the stain is wearing off much quicker in the cabinet bathrooms where there is a lot more humidity. I used Howard's Restor-A-Finish with a bit of success, only to have it short lived.

I have considered having the cabinets re-stained, but I spoke to a friend of the family that had it done and she said it was much messier, and smelly, than she had anticipated. My husband and daughter both have asthma, so fumes are a concern. This isn't something we would attempt ourselves - we would have this professionally done. My friend said even with plastic covering the rest of the kitchen, there were still fine wood particles everywhere, similar to having your wood floors refinished. And whatever finish they used had a strong smell that lingered for weeks.

So then I thought if it's that bad, maybe I should consider replacing the cabinets. But that seems wasteful to me as the cabinets seems to be in decent shape. Plus, I don't want a white kitchen, we like the warmth of darker wood, even though all you seem to see are white kitchens today, so it seems silly to replace cabinets with similar ones. We aren't planning on moving anytime soon, so anything we do will be for "us". But that also begs the question is it dumb to put granite or quartz on 20 year old cabinets?

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had experience having cabinets professionally refinished. Is it as messy and smelly as I've heard? Am I better off considering replacement? If I were to change anything I would get cabinets that go up to the ceiling, so that would be a plus.

I should add that I don't like the look of painted cabinets, so I don't know if that's a good option for me. About a year ago, my cousin had her creamy white cabinets professionally painted (with a sprayer, not a brush) bright white and the paint is already chipping around the high use areas, like where her garbage can pull is.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (10)