SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Wedding guest outfits rant and plea for help

l pinkmountain
6 years ago

SO's son is getting married out East in late June and SO is in the wedding. All SO had were old, moth-eaten and heavy suit jackets so a nice new suit was in order. We went shopping this weekend because they were having a suit sale at Kohls. I was very skeptical that we would find something workable and nice at the sale, but I considered this the opening salvo in the suit quest, just to survey the territory and see what we were up against. SO hates clothes shopping and I am not far behind him in loathing. Not surprisingly, there were few options and most looked horrible on SO. He's not real tall although not exactly short, and although his chest is large, his arms aren't particularly long. There were few options in the small nearby towns we were looking in. I just wanted to get an idea of prices. Later on we are going to a hip urban area for the weekend and to me, that would be the time and place to seriously shop. But I get that SO was not looking forward to that.

We stopped in to a local Yonkers and by complete surprise they had a fabulous suit on a half-price-off sale that fit SO like a glove. He thought he had hit the jackpot. The problem with the suit was that it was DARK GREY. All day I had been begging and begging him to look for a light grey suit, but he kept insisting he didn't like light grey and we didn't find a cool suit in that color to get me to change his mind. I cannot help but think he is going to be hot as Hades in that suit and will probably not wear the jacket much other than for the wedding ceremony. They are asking everyone in the wedding party to wear something red, so SO might be wearing a red shirt with a red and grey tie, or he might wear this grey glen plaid short sleeved shirt he has with a red tie. I'm thinking the short sleeved shirt might be the better option since SO said he would probably not wear either the tie or suit jacket to the reception and he's almost always hot. He's such a fashion pain, but on the plus side, I can never complain that he is a slave to his looks or that he expects me to be either!

Now for my dilemma. I need a new dress for the wedding. I combed my closet and I really have nothing nice, particularly for summer. I'm not really wanting to wear red or grey or black, but I would like to wear something that looks nice with SO's attire. I'm thinking a print with some mostly pinks for the color, like hot pink. That pale pink color that is all the rage is very tricky for me to pull off, some of the shades look good but others are death to me. I'm more of a "summer" palette person, if you know your color talk. White, all black without an accent color, orange, light green and yellow are no-no colors for me. I cannot find anything locally and I'm not even sure how or where to shop. I tried perusing Nordstrom's online but nothing really grabbed me. I don[t want something short or long, and I hate the cut-out shoulder and floppy sleeve look that is in style now. No off-the-shoulder. I want something classic. I wouldn't mind a little black dress or a beige dress with a bit of floral. Nothing extreme with the print either, something classic. And I'm not spending over 200 dollars and even that is pushing it. I'm average height, carry about 10 extra lbs. and am slightly pear shaped. I'm 58, so no longer ingenue but still a bit of a boho granny.

How do you all shop? If online, how to you narrow your choices. I have shopped Nordstrom's for high style dress clothing but know of few others. This is not an LL Bean moment. If you shop in stores, which ones and how do you find them? I live about 2 hours from the metro Detroit area.

Here are some examples of what I like. The first one I love but I wouldn't buy because that black nylon sheath says "hot and sticky" to me for a summer wedding. I'm not sure about the neckline for the second one . . . The third is on sale for 58 dollars and I think it would look good but maybe a little too "average" looking. This is not a formal wedding but that print just doesn't thrill me. The last one is nice but I would need a jacket or shawl just in case, and it also says, "every day" to me but still nice.

Comments (56)