SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Remembrance of Easter Past

Anglophilia
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Before starting this, I would ask that those who are not religious or believers refrain from turning this into a discussion about religion. You will not convince those of us who DO believe, and we will not convince those of you who are non-believers.. That is NOT the point of this post!!!!

As I was trying very hard to motivate myself to get up from my cozy bed this AM, I was thinking about Easter's Past. I was remembering my childhood - I was born in 1943, so we're talking the late 40's and the 50's for the most part. Easter wasn't just a religious holiday, or an excuse to eat chocolate, it was about NEW CLOTHES! That new Easter outfit was planned and shopped for with a vigor today seen when a teen is shopping for a prom dress. If mum couldn't afford a new dress, she might well put a new ribbon and flowers on her old hat to "freshen them up". Dad often had a new tie. The children nearly always had new clothes, even if they were just "new-to-them".

The elaborateness of these clothes was in inverse proportion to ones wealth; the little Mexican girls in my town had the frilliest, poofiest dresses of all; by the time we got to the upper middle/upper class Episcopalians, things were tailored and simple. Mine were somewhere in the middle. There was dotted swiss, organdy, lace, smocking - this was a PARTY dress! There were always black patent Mary Jane shoes, and simple white socks (lace trim on the socks was a dead giveaway to social class). Hair was nearly combed and parted and held back with a barrette or a simple bow (nothing too poofy - perhaps even a hair ribbon used like a headband. If Easter was early, there was always a pastel colored spring coat, and later some sort of precursor to polartec, the jacket being white and fluffy and soft (only stayed that way for a few wearings and could not be satisfactorily washed - they were cheap). Corsages were often worn - I remember my first "wrist corsage" - it was pink carnations. The wealthier ladies, received orchids. Men had a boutonnière. These had all been delivered on Sat by a florist.

Somehow, no one was rushed! An Easter egg hunt had already been held, either in the garden or in the house, depending on the weather. Everyone was dressed and Dad had his camera out (a movie camera if more affluent), and everyone gathered out front for lots and lots of pictures in ones Easter finery. Somehow, everyone was on-time for church, as well. Wonder how they did that...

EVERYONE went to church! I did not know a single person of any socio/economic class that did not attend church pretty regularly, and always at Easter. In my town, the majority were Protestant. And after church, everyone went home to a special Easter meal, usually ham (lamb was unknown in my midwest town).

My town had only public and parochial schools, the vast majority of students attending the public schools. There was no such thing as "spring break". I think we had Thurs and Fri (perhaps also Easter Mon) off for Holy Week and that was it. If anyone went anywhere, it was to visit relatives for the holidays. No one went to FL or skiing!

I contrasted those memories to today. Spring break for the public/private schools started Fri afternoon (actually a day earlier as so many teachers called in sick on Fri in protest to a new pension plan, that there was no public school on Fri). They are off for a week. In my neighborhood, there is practically no one at home - definitely not if they have children. My own DD and her family left early this AM to go skiing - no Easter services for them. DS did take his children to church - their spring break is the following week.

On my drive to my church, I passed 3 very close-by churches, one Presbyterian, one Southern Baptist, one Methodist. I was happy to see that the parking lots were filled to the brim! By the time I got to my own church, I had no trouble finding a parking place at all. There had been an 8AM and 9AM (family) service - I was at the 11 AM. I'm sure the 9AM was the most crowded, but when I asked one of the rectors if the balconies were full, he said no - very sparse. At 11AMs, there might have been 6 people up there.

Since I doubt all the pervious years congregants had become non-believers, I'm assume that the wealthier Episcopalians had all gone on spring break!!! I've seen more people at church in Oct than there were today - really very sad. We have a wooden cross which is covered with greenery, and at the family service, children bring up flowers to "decorate the cross" - the church always has plenty for those who forget or don't have anything in the garden. It was practically bare this year. It just broke my heart!

I learned when I moved to this town, that here, even 34 years ago, no one buys new clothes for Easter; everything is bought new for Derby and that's when the hats come out. One hat at church this Sun - I usually wear one but was too short of breathe to reach up and get it off the closet shelf - lucky I got my pantyhose on! Ours has always been a "we-still-dress-up-for-church", but that is changing. Lots of women in pants, and more men in a coat but no tie. With my spring coat and matching dress (think Queen Elizabeth's style), I was dressed up and more nicely than most.

I know that today, the thing we appear to promote most is "diversity" - it is everywhere and any place that is not diverse is hammered. But it sure felt more friendly when everyone had a commonality - religion, traditions - we were all doing the same thing. Now, sometimes it feels as if one is out on the ocean, sailing all alone. It's a VERY different world at 74 than it was when I was 10.

What do you all remember?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor