SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Little White Pet is one tough rose!

jacqueline9CA
6 years ago

My LWP which grows out by the street in a 2 ft diameter 18 inch high (made of brick tree rounds) round raised bed on the corner of a flower bed, our driveway, and the curb/gutter/street has had an interesting life lately. Some of you may remember the story of our main fresh water supply pipe to the house breaking (right under LWP) about a year ago. I had to prune it down to about 1 ft high (from 2-3 ft high and in full bloom) and dig it up and throw it into a wheel barrow in a BIG hurry (at about 8PM) as my DH and the plumber stood by, exhausted from their exertions, waiting to dig down further to the 113 year old water pipe. They did, they replaced part of it, and the next day my DH dumped the soaking mounds of clay soil back into the trench. After trying to scraped the muddy mess off of the ground cover roses which also grow in that bed, and my DH rebuilding the raised bed for LWP, I re-planted it. Well, within 3 weeks (with no die back) it was leafing out again, and setting buds, and then burst into full bloom again.

It turns out that Fate was not done with it. About ten days ago some huge truck must have backed into our driveway to turn around. It evidently missed the driveway entrance on one side, one of its wheels came up over the curb....and smashed right into Little White Pet! The top brick tree round was pushed off of the bottom two, and one side of LWP was smushed. LWP and its bed stopped the truck, though - the other side of LWP was not damaged, so the tire was not able to go over it. I secretly hope it put some ugly scrapes on the truck! I did not get out there to do anything about it until today. Of course, some of the canes on one side were damaged or broken, but darned if even those were not putting out new sprouts below the damage! I am right now taking a break from pruning it back and cleaning it up. Most of the rose is OK, and does not seem phased by having part of itself and its dirt moved over 5-6 inches.

Next....the reason I finally got around to tackling this was as follows: Since that break in the fresh water supply line last year my DH has been telling me that we need to replace it in its entirety, all the way from the house out to the street. For some reason lost in the mists of time, instead of being a reasonable pipe coming from the water meter, he said the old old pipe is 1/2 inch copper, which has corroded down to 3/8th of an inch. Not only that, it runs 8 feet parallel to the street, and gets to the middle of our driveway before turning 90 degrees and heading towards our house. So, the plumber was here yesterday to look around, and in a few weeks the entire thing will be replaced, which will entail putting in a brand new 1 inch copper water supply line, which will head for the house from the water meter in a straight line, which will go within about 1 foot of LWP's now damaged raised bed. That is why I went out to prune LWP today. I am going to have to reduce its height and width back down to about 1 1/2 feet. This time I am not worried about it at all - it is indestructible!

Jackie

Comments (3)