SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abernathygreen

Electrical Quandry

abernathygreen
6 years ago

Looking for some advice and input from electricians/contractors here.

Long story short, I hired an electrician I have been very unhappy with to upgrade an old panel to 200amps. He gave me an estimate of $1800.

It has been a nightmare dealing with this guy but after over a week of work it took him and his crew, the panel passed inspection but the power company needed the meter moved.

Before this happened I got an invoice for $4000, with a single line item for the panel change and meter move (which had not been done yet). I tried to ask for more detail in the invoice seeing as how it was more than twice the bid for the panel and he had said the meter move would only run $700-$1000. Tired of working with this guy, I got a general contractor who has a good electrician to do the meter move instead.

When the old electrician told me his crew was going out to tear down ivy and move the meter, I told him to stop and that we'd regroup next week.

They did the work anyway.

I am at a loss for what to do next. Professionals here on Houzz (who I am assuming are far, far more professional than this electrician), how would you want a customer to handle this? If one of your employees or subcontractors did something like this, what would you want to happen?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Comments (2)