SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Azalea Bush decline - and a bit of azalea envy

OK...well, grass is literally pinker on the other side of the fence.

And I am trying to figure out why and what to do.

We inherited a nice garden from the previous owners.

Unfortunately, during the past 6 years (during which we both rented and bought this house)...the garden declined a bit under our watch.

With my full-time employment and two kids, one of whom is home-schooled, I have not had enough time to keep up with the garden as the previous owners did.

The garden is probably missing her TLC (she was a SAHM) and I am not blaming it (the garden, I mean).

We decided to do some revival this summer and among many other issues...we have these azalea bushes in the backyard, right in the back where fallen leaves get blown away and left as mulch.

They used to bloom beautiful pink flowers but they don't do it anymore.

Barely any bloom at all, growth is stunted and leaves are rusty.

By contrast, the neighbor's azalea bush, just a few feet away, is blooming its head off already . So I am "jelly bean" :-).

Reality is I didn't do a thing to them since we got into this house - so I suppose that's the reason.

They have just been regularly mulched by blown away leaves...but that's about it.

Every year they did less well.

What can I do to restore them?

Amend soil? Fertilize? Water regularly? Prune? (the bush is small anyway).

Treat for some deficiency or disease?

It was my understanding that azaleas should have been able to keep going on their own. But at some point I think one must do some kind of hand-holding - or it looks like they eventually go down.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored