SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

do you think my azalea is dieing or in shock??

jameya
9 years ago

Hello all,
I am new to attempting to grow flowers or anything really. About a month ago I bought a girard's rose azalea at lowes, kept it for a week and its been in the ground about 3 weeks now. It has dropped all flowers, and the leaves still look healthy, and then today I noticed that a couple of the leaves are turning a darkish green. I've read some plants/ flowers go through trasnplant shock, but I'm not all that sure if I picked a great place to plant it. Its faceing east/ south and to the south in the next yard there is a HUGE tree that provides shade, as well as a head high bush that is about 5 foot from it. I'm finding out I do have clay type soil. When I planted it I scored the roots a bit and then used top soil and some dirt that came out of the hole that was dug. Also I put some fertilizer into the hole for azalea's and rhododendrons but its not touching the roots, I dug the hole a bit deeper and then put a small bit of the fertilizer in and put maybe 2 inches of the top soil, then sit the azalea into the hole.
I've also recently bought a roseum elegans rhododendron I was going to plant in this same area, but maybe behind it, or beside it a little ways out, but I am not sure if this spot is good or not for them...any thoughts, or ideas would be appericiated and helpful!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored