SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annawsul1

What’s going on with my Compton!?

AnnaWSul1 (5a)
6 years ago

Hey all,

Before I get to the issue at hand, thought I’d share a little backstory on my Compton Carousel in case anyone finds it relevant... I first got this beauty over the summer. I wanted one so bad, but heard they could be quite fickle. After extensive research and reading up about their care I bit the bullet, took a hit to the old wallet and snatched one up. Because I was so worried about killing it, I was very careful about water and light. Probably too careful to be honest but in my defense I was so worried about loving her to death I tried to take extra precautions. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I was neglecting her too much, a month maybe. She was becoming slightly etiolated and wilted, and her lower leaves were drying up and falling off at what seemed like an abnormal rate to me. I know these are “delicate” but she just seemed so frail to me. So I took some advice given to me and moved her into a pot with purely pumice and slowly increased her water and light over time. She really strayed to perk up and even started developing those lovely pink tips and edges. I was so happy I was able to turn her around! It’s been probably 6 to 7 months or so and she’s been living happily under my grow lights. Or so I thought. Last night while watering some of my plants I noticed something strange going on with her. Some of the leaves have these small craters or pockmarks on them. On the older leaves the craters have turned a brownish tan color while on the newer leaves the craters Have no distinct color. It doesn’t really look like a wound to me, more like it collapsed in just that area if that makes sense. I’m not sure what is going on or what to do. I saw no other signs of pests or rot. It’s mostly on the last 3 rows of leaves, I don’t see it on any of the new growth. As you can see in the first pic all seems well, but I’d say it’s present on about 5 different lower leaves, only on the white areas and only one “spot” per leaf. I’ve never seen this before... I haven’t been able to inspect all of my plants yet but of the 20 or so I watered last night, none showed any sign of these pockmarks. Any ideas? Is my precious Compton sick??? Is something eating it??? Would it be a good idea to take her out of her pot and inspect her roots? Am I overreacting? What do I do???

Thanks in advance for any insight, guidance, advice, or input!

Comments (5)