SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pocketmole

Temporary solution for patio that is "in between" updates?

Bag of Bees
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hey all! I actually originally made a post to the container gardening forum because I thought container gardening might be my only solution here, but now I'm wondering if I need to broaden my horizons a bit.

I have an unusual area of my patio that is in a half finished state, and won't be finished until some time next year. I'd still like to have my outdoor area feel cozy and beautiful, but I'm at a loss as to how to put lipstick on this particular pig :)

Basically we have a retaining wall that is "floating" on the edge of some unshaded concrete, with unfinished end caps. Eventually the plan is to build supports on either side of this wall and put a pergola over the uncovered pavement so we have a larger protected area for relaxing. Right now there are bare gravel "gaps" that I stuck a couple of planters onto to mask them. There is also a lot of empty space between the seating area and the wall, since there is no shade.

Today I spent some time doing a little cleaning up, filled the planters, added some shepherds hooks with more hanging flowers, and put a rug under the seating area. It is an improvement but it still just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't suppose anyone here can offer some advice as to how I can tie these two areas together a bit better? Or at least make the wall appear more purposeful? I'm at a loss!

Comments (10)