SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemma_pugsley

MCM Living Room Needs A Facelift

Jemma Pugsley
6 years ago

I'm a teacher and every free minute that I've had this spring break has been spent obsessing over this room. Sad, I know. The worst part is that I'm no closer to improving it.

The only thing new in here is the sectional - it's too big for the space, but we really love it. It's my office when I'm at home (hence the crazy blanket mess). One issue that this causes is narrow clearance along the wall that the TV is on. It's only about 3'1'' from that wall to the end of the sectional.

I plan to move the armchair, ottoman, and bookcases to another room. The TV stand and coffee table are relics from my partner's bachelor pad and we have no attachment to them. I'm also on the hunt for my white whale - a rug that is comfortable, attractive, practical, and affordable.

Help, please!

Side note: While my budget is not extensive, I am able to build furniture.

Comments (91)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well, it looks like you're not overly stuck in one direction and that's a great thing when you're on a limited budget...

Why don't we try to make your room feel like your inspiration room?

Here's a rug for you to consider...

Very fuzzy, not TOO much white, and 209 dollars.

I'll keep going...

ETA shows currently out of stock for that, but you can be notified when it comes back in...they should honor the coupon price...

• User
    6 years ago

This one, to me, feels like the Marah Rug...

Link, sorry, uncooperative laptop..

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-shaggy-trellis/Ivory/200OZST01A-P.html

• Related Discussions

Dining Room need a facelift??

Q

Comments (8)
    Well the blinds match the blinds across the front of the house so replacing those would put the living room and family room off kilter if standing on the sidewalk. They look pretty bad closed like that - normally they are open and just so noticable...My old hutch use to be white, matching the chairs, then I painted THAT Red to match the trim and now switched the hutch to blue. It never ends I tell you...The white chairs do match the white table legs that aren't shown in the photo...So I think the white is ok..Maybe it is the centerpiece that isn't hitting me. I have been waiting OVER ONE YEAR for a large handwoven basket that is shallow and very long that is handcrafted by a local artist but is gorgeous. I can do all kinds of seasonal displays in it. So I hate to buy something and with my luck the basket is ready next month....Maybe I will fool around with the centerpiece using something existing..I think that is what is driving me nuts in there!
    ...See More

Rug ideas for bohemian/vintage/MCM living room?

Q

Comments (36)
    So ended up with this one! Was originally thinking a more neutral color like the old one would be better but I like the richness of this.. plus the rug is SO soft and comfy.. will be great for naps in front of the fireplace... :). (Note this is the photoshopped photo, looks better in real life!) Rug from Target: https://www.target.com/p/sky-blue-abstract-tufted-area-rug----5'3"x7'7"----surya/-/A-5191722
    ...See More

Interior door replacement input needed. Bring my modern back to MCM

Q

Comments (4)
    We need pictures and IMO if MCM is the aim then keep all of this simple. MCM had trim around doors and windows usually the type of trim that was non descript and I usually just paint the orignal the same color as th walls just a satin sheen. I have a MCM ranch thta has a long hallway in the center so I used pixelated glass doors all down the hall and into the master bathroom and walking closet it allows light into the hall and breaks up a long hall of solid door s we also use that hall to hang art . We needt o see your spac e.Post all pics and answers to any questions we ask all in comment shere do not start other posts .
    ...See More

MCM Tri-Level Living Room Design Help

Q

Comments (1)
    There is too little info to help. We need a to scale floor plan I find it easier to do those plans on graph paper. Show every window , doorway and where those doorways lead . Every measurement clearly marked post her ein jpeg format Info as to how manty seats on a day to day basis do you need, we do need to know if a TV will be there .Is your style. Make sure you show the whole kitchen layout since that impacts the space . Please DO NOT start another post just use comments here
    ...See More
  • Allison Burnfield McAteer
    6 years ago

I love the look of your post ideas. Does your DIY skills include sewing or embroidery? I think the like curtians with the line of red from one of the anthropology links would be easy to replicate DIY in any accent color you choose. Another theme from the pictures that would be easy to incorporate is some plants with hanging down(string of pearls, or spider plants on those ledges could work. But first . . . Another option for tv center would be a low long dresser. We picked up a vintage mid-centry dresser at a used furniture store for cheap. We couldn't even come close to making something for the same price.

Jemma Pugsley thanked Allison Burnfield McAteer
  • Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

Totally get it about the t.v. and being happy with it even if it aesthetically isn't the right size.

Looking at grover's photoshop, I think the t.v. looks more appropriately sized on the brick wall. I have to think it's also much more comfortable to watch it from that distance. The wall you have it on -- the t.v. dwarfs it. It also makes me nervous as it looks like someone could knock into it easily as they pass through. And looks too close no matter where you are sitting on the sectional. Distance for viewing a t.v. that size is much better if the t.v. is on the brick wall, I suspect. But I don't know the dimensions of your room and photographs can be deceiving.

Maybe relocate the chair in another room temporarily and move the t.v. to the brick wall, live with that for awhile to see if you like that arrangement better.

I'm not much of an expert so take my advice for what it's worth. I will be following as your room has potential and you are in good hands!

Jemma Pugsley thanked Jennifer Dube
  • partim
    6 years ago

If you often have blankets on the sofas, it's nice to have something to keep them in. A tall basket would hold more than one blanket. Or a storage ottoman.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Ralia Rug | Anthropologie · More Info

Kilim Indoor Throw Pillows - Grandin Road · More Info

Wrought Studio Cabezas 71" TV Stand & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Jemma Pugsley thanked groveraxle
  • Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

Love it Grover! That's what I was thinking. Can you also change the drapes? And put a sofa table in forefront there, with a pair of lamps? Could have a couple of baskets for the throw blankets.

I like the console #1 that blends in with the brick. But I'd do a lighter coffee table, like console #2. Then again I could change my mind if the drapes where lighter.

Jemma - you said you need blackouts. Is that because of t.v. glare? If you moved the t.v. to the brick wall you may have less glare? Or did you say for privacy? I don't think you need blackouts for privacy, but I don't know your neighbors :-)

• User
    6 years ago

I just happened upon these pretty little drapes...except they are sheer..

I thought I would pass them on to you anyway.

They're only 17 dollars a panel and you would need four.

Pier one and there's a coupon code for free shipping.

They reminded me of the Anthropologie paintings you liked. :)

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I meant to comment on the curtains and forgot. I think the curtains you have are fine; there just aren't enough of them. If you got two more panels exactly the same, you'd have that problem solved. Curtains that are meant to close should be 2 1/2 - 3 times the width of the window.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

I would describe your style as West Elm Does MCM : ) .

Don't forget that Urban Outfitters is owned by the same company as Anthro, and has a similar vibe for much less $$$. Here's what UO has for rugs and curtains,

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/rugs-curtains

• User
    6 years ago

Should you be considering the console/buffet/media cabinet idea further, I found that the wood on "free" pallets simply wasn't worth the trouble to pick up. I like (and have used) fence pickets from Lowes. Still distressed and you can pick through them to get the straightest boards. Plus a six foot picket is three dollars.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alta-Forest-Products-Common-5-8-in-x-5-1-2-in-x-6-ft-Actual-0-57-in-x-5-5-in-x-6-ft-Natural-Western-Red-Cedar-Fence-Picket/50333333?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA--LumberAndBuildingMaterials--WoodFence-_-50333333:Alta_Forest_Products&CAWELAID=&kpid=50333333&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2516&k_clickID=d2f6824d-cc2e-4c43-abb4-5fd575a5b7a0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8O6kr-eH2gIV1LbACh2XJwY2EAQYASABEgIG9fD_BwE

Sand and stain gray and you're gtg.

(Just a tidbit of handy info to keep in the back of your head)

Jemma Pugsley thanked User
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• User
    6 years ago

I also like these for your living room: ....I just love the Ikea Frosta "stool", but with your talents, you could do this to give you one or two extra tables (this will stop your room looking too rustic, I think)....plus 15 dollars :)

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ikea-frosta-tablet-side-table-hack-165167

Okay, I've talked too much, :)

ETA: If you got curtains in the solid color of your inspiration room, it would give you "look" of the painted accent wall....(I don't think you can paint any walls, right?)

• intelinside1
    6 years ago

What is everyone's thoughts on doing a 'light' white wash on the brick wall to brighten up the space? Like mix 1:2 white primer to water and white washing that brick?

Not fully painting the brick, but just brightening it... i think the way it works is more white ends up in the grout lines soaked up so it makes the brick more bright and the room feel 'calmer'?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-whitewash-brick/

Bob Villa how to whitewash

• partim
    6 years ago

I like the brick the way it is. Especially if the TV ends up in front of it, the TV will blend better with the darker brick. The rest of the room is light and it has a good window.

• partim
    6 years ago

What do you mean by keeping your x-frame table? I don't see one in your pictures.

I would also love to see new pictures of your existing room with these changes: remove bookshelves and chair, move TV and cabinet to fireplace wall, remove all items from fireplace wall. Remove blankets, pillow and items from coffee table for the picture.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

intelinside1 - I don't think our landlords would let us change the brick, but we are quite happy with it as is. The floor in the kitchen and the strip of floor along the brick wall is also brick.

pennydesign - I love your ideas! Those rugs are great - I think I really like the shaggy trellis rug! I like the idea of the FROSTA stool-come-table, and I could even paint it in a fun color to add a pop!

Allison - The DIY drapery is definitely an option. I am proficient with sewing in a straight line, and what I can't do my mom can. :) Great thinking! Awesome dresser, btw. I'm keeping my eye out on Craigslist.

Jennifer M. - Strangely, the TV distance right now is just fine (we both sit at the back of the sofa), but would be great on the brick wall, too (and less glare). Genius idea about trying the arrangement out for a few days. I realized this morning that convincing my SO to move the chair out of the room will be more difficult that I thought. Maybe if everyone on the internet agrees it's too crowded...

I suppose we don't need blackout curtains as much now as we did when we bought them. Privacy is important, though. Our window faces a residential street, and being near a high school and a bus stop, we have a lot of pedestrian traffic. It's also been important for the glare, but, as you say, if we move the TV that won't be much of an issue (I hope).

partim - We do have a basket that is overflowing with blankets. I've just counted and in our living room alone we have 9 blankets. Yikes. I don't even like all of them, they just have sentimental value. Here's the basket, minus 5 blankets.

And here's the room minus the knick knacks. I'm not moving the chair or TV yet for my partner's sake.

The x-frame table is below the clock. This also shows just how much room there is behind the sectional. Should I move the sofa back a foot or so?

groveraxle - You are quite talented! It's so helpful to see everything in the room - especially the rug! You're right about the curtains. That explains why I always feel like there are gaps on the sides!

beckysharp - Excellent point about UO - I'm looking through the link now. They have a lot of great stuff! Is anyone out there a rug expert? I'm too indecisive.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I put little succulents in the tiny windows. Does it look okay? Obviously ignore the lamp :).

• User
    6 years ago

Helllooo Mr. Pugsley!!!!???

Do you think you could do us all a huge, and temporarily move the chair out and put the tv where the chair is? We would like to see what it looks like..and we need your muscle to do so...

'kthnx,

Penny.

• partim
    6 years ago

Is your partner against moving the chair out and the TV in front of the fireplace?

You don't have too much room behind the sofa. A spacious entrance is good. I wouldn't move the sectional back. I would restyle the x frame table a bit. Stand the records upright - use a heavy bookend to keep them up. I'd remove any decor items on top of it. Maybe add a shallow bowl for keys etc.

The little cacti look cute in the small window. I don't like the 2 pictures separated by the small windows. I think the windows are enough there. I'd hang those pictures elsewhere side by side, or one above the other on a smaller wall such as over the X frame table. Then move the clock to where your TV is currently.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

He wants to keep the chair in the living room because apparently, when we have 4 people, he doesn't want all of them on the sectional (that has 5 generously-sized seats). He said he's not opposed to moving it back and forth when we have said company, though, to be fair, the chair is a pain to get through the doorways.

• User
    6 years ago

Consider something like these to give your room the feeling of an accent wall, without painting.

If this...is still your inspiration room

Coral and gray is a lovely color combination.

Glad you can sew, a little. Pillow covers are so easy and cheap to make (I can't believe the cost of some of the ready made covers I see online)...

• partim
    6 years ago

If your partner is OK with moving it back and forth when you have company, then I'd move it out of the room.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pennydesign - I'm liking those curtains! I think my SO might think it's too much coral, but maybe something like these with it as an accent? Of course the couch would cover the fun part on these :( .

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've talked my partner into trying the TV against the brick wall (success!) this week. We'll do it sometime this week or next weekend as I go back to work tomorrow. I'll post pictures when it's moved. :) Thank you again for all of the continued help!

• User
    6 years ago

If I see any others that might work besides those you picked out, which are lovely, I'll just throw them your way.

Look forward to seeing the tv over there...

Love your little plants.

Don't work too hard.

• User
    6 years ago

I wondered if you might consider doing painting dropcloths as curtains...

I think it might give you the look you like, and add some texture and privacy.

I will add, though, that you would need to bleach them as the color they are (like putty) will make your room lean too rustic (that's just my opinion, though...if you like them as-is, that's great).

http://ourhandcraftedlife.com/no-sew-bleached-drop-cloth-curtains/

I just love the look for your living room.

If you wanted to add a little something, you could do a line or two of trim on the cheap and they would look like the curtains you posted as one of your likes above...

Bonus: Sometimes, you don't even have to sew the dropcloths to fit!

Instadrape....

For your flowers/birds love...I was thinking a piece of fabric stretched over a wooden frame makes for lovely wall decor...you could diy the fabric or buy online...this one is 25 dollars from etsy but cheaper is available, too. There are loads.

Anyway...Just a couple of budget ideas for you to consider...

:)

• User
    6 years ago

Also...I was wondering if you would be open to dying your gray chair? I think a navy blue dye should cover and would look lovely...

We have the sofa in this line..World Market, right?, so it's a slipcover. I know from experience how badly these fade and that they're not available any more.

Just another thought.

I'll shut up again now so I don't keep bumping needlessly.

:)

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pennydesign - loving the drop cloth curtains! Great texture and price point! My dad has some spare white IKEA curtains that I'm going to try briefly to see if white will work with the white walls, and then I'll look into embellishments if needed. Excellent find!

You're definitely right about the World Market chair. It is fading horribly. If we ever put the chair out in the open again I will have to consider dying the slipcover. Another wonderful idea!

We have a few pieces of art that we never got around to framing or hanging, so hopefully we won't have to buy anymore, but the idea of framing fabric is a cool idea. I've also seen people do it with whimsical wallpaper samples.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The TV has moved!

Blank white wall waiting for art. Would a slim console table (this size with shelf) work here or where the bookcases are currently? It would be nice to have a designated spot to charge my laptop.

And our kitchen armchair! It will stay there until I hear from the SO that the TV is good where it's at. The sooner the better, though I am enjoying a comfy place to sit while I wait for things to cook.

Now we just need to frame and hang some art, buy a rug, and a million other things...

And yes, I know that the knick knacks are back on the brick shelves. They'll move eventually, but for now I'm too tired to find another spot for them.

Any further suggestions?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

If you're going to build a console, I'd have it go all the way to the wall and get rid of the end table there. Put that lamp or a taller one on the right to help balance the TV. Since you are losing a chair, perhaps you could build a console that's open under the TV to allow you to slide a stool or a couple of poufs.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Something like this:

56''media base : Otello Collection, Furniture manufacturer contemporary -- HUPPÉ · More Info

• partim
    6 years ago

Big improvement! I like the TV on the brick wall. Next step, remove all the stuff on the brick shelves, and move the bookshelf to another room. I'd leave the bookshelf wall bare except for wall art, since it's the pinch point in the circulation path.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

It looks SOOOOO much better, yes use coral for an accent color. Look for art with that color in it and pop the couch with a few patterned pillows and a dab of coral.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago
  • User
    6 years ago

Just my opinion...I think the tv needs to go down further just a little....maybe 12 inches is all.

I would also move the sofa further away from the TV a bit to visually "uncrowd" the passageway to the kitchen. I might consider switching the bookcase and x table/clock...Maybe you could use the x-table for your laptop and stuff.
    OR it's pretty easy to clear a shelf on the bookcase and use that as your "desk shelf" (run a cord behind the shelves and cut a hole in the back at the bottom so you can leave a cord available without plugging/unplugging.

Angle the chair into the kitchen...It invites people to sit and chat while you cook. Colorful pillow on there, too, but rug first...(after a real good floor scrub! Stove and fireplace areas.. especially walkways...are rotten for keeping clean. Maybe some kind of sealer is needed? Anyway, been there with the floors, and a sealer makes a thousand percent difference in dirt not sticking :))

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's some of the art that I already have (the map is massive). Should any of it go on the blank white wall? I think that this wall is now the most daunting thing to me. I'm not an expert on hanging art at all, and clearly I have completely random pieces.

• User
    6 years ago

Oh I kind of am in love with the posh peacock...

• partim
    6 years ago

I like all these pieces. How large is the wall, and how large are the art pieces?

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The map, including the frame, is about 45" x 62".

The "Fowl with Pearls" print is framed in a "fancy" gold frame with a navy and white mat. It's about 26.5" x 32.5" (with frame).

The Washington print is supposedly about 11"x17" according to the site it came from, but honestly I haven't seen it in 3 years and thought it was bigger. No frame yet. Frame and matting ideas?

Harry Potter is also not framed, about 20"x30". Frame and matting ideas?

Wall is about 179", but about 20" of that is going into the carpeted hall leading to the bedroom (see the third photo I posted in my first ever comment, on the right of the room). I would say about 159" then.

• partim
    6 years ago

I would use the map, just because it is the largest and will fill the big wall best. Another one could go to the left of the window in the dining room. And I'd use another one instead of the clock, because these have much more personality and oomph than the clock. (I'm not a fan of big clocks as decor.)

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is awesome, groveraxle! Thank you for the visual!!! I'll have to go on a frame hunt after school today.

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We've narrowed it down to a few rugs. We eschewed light colors and shag due to practicality (much to my chagrin).

In no particular order:
    Chroma Tribal Cartouche Medallion Rug

Chroma Tribal Tree Of Paradise Medallion Rug

Tunis Sevana Tribal Accented Diamonds Rug

Albina Streaked Trellis Rug

Any opinions? I've hit a wall.

• User
    6 years ago

Quite a departure from what you initially wanted!

I can't do what grover does, but this might give you a visual with your brick and sofas...

Not sure I like the third one...it looks too pink with your brick.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Rugs USA - Area Rugs in many styles including Contemporary, Braided, Outdoor and · More Info

Chroma Tribal Tree of Paradise Medallion Rug | Bohemian Rug · More Info

Rugs USA - Area Rugs in many styles including Contemporary, Braided, Outdoor and · More Info

• User
    6 years ago

I think the trick here, in your room, is to make sure the rug doesn't add to the "country" or "lodge" look...(Unless you want that, but I don't think you do.)

• Jemma Pugsley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I may need to call it quits on the rug search. I don't think that the right rug in my price range exists.

• User
    6 years ago

Of course it does! Don't quit!

Lets just focus on a main color...now what color do you want it to be? Most colors go with gray. So you just have your brick to deal with. So (for me only) that would mean no pink tones.

Show a couple of expensive rugs that you love...we can probably help you find a good dupe, or at least one that "feels" similar...

• partim
    6 years ago

I like the Tribal Tree of Paradise, but in the orange version, not the pink one you linked to. Goes better with your brick.