SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nj_mom

Where's the dish drainer? And other questions about real-life homes...

NJ Mom
6 years ago

SO I've been pretty religiously looking at photos on Houzz, putting stuff in my ideabooks, thinking about various kitchen layouts, stressing about budgets. We have appointments with a couple of designers next week to see if what we want is realistic or will we have to compromise in some areas.

But here's the thing ... none of these beautiful kitchens and bathrooms look "real". They all look like they are out of a magazine. No one actually lives in a magazine! Where do you guys keep your dish drainer? I have yet to see a single dish drainer on any counter anywhere! Does EVERYONE keep their coffee maker neatly tucked away in a convenient cabinet all the time? No one keeps it out where they are going to use it daily? Where is the bulletin board of family appointments and kid's artwork and that expired coupon you never got around to using? Is everyone on this board except me a Domestic God(dess) whose kitchen is eat-off-the-floor clean all the time (or you can afford that much domestic help)?

I guess I'm asking, what does your beautiful, functional kitchen that you spent a lot of money and time on ACTUALLY look like once you and your family have been living in it for a while? Same question for your bathroom, really. And family rooms with all the beautiful generic accessories. Where's the picture of that ugly vase your aunt gave you that you HAVE to keep out for fear of offending her? Or that painting your nephew made that he's so proud of that doesn't really match your decor, but you love him so you'll put it up? And kid's rooms! Dear God, can a kid's room really stay as beautiful and coordinated as the designers make it look?

Comments (142)