Anyone grow golden ragwort/Packera aurea?

l pinkmountain

I am looking for a daisy like yellow plant to grow in a wet woods area. However, it is not damp all the time. It is a low spot and is seasonally wet and moist in the summer but not damp. Will that plant work, (golden ragwort)? Another would be swamp buttercup, but I have the same concerns about it . . .

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I grow it near, but not in, a rain garden, in a location that gets some afternoon sun but is mostly shaded. It gets fairly dry there at times. Golden ragwort does very well there, and it's one of the first plants to get going in the spring.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Thanks Woods! I plan on putting it in the same kind of place, so that's good to know! Also planning for a mostly spring show of flowers.

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

I've known this as Senecio aureus and found a plant in a ditch one time I transplanted to my garden where it grew spectacularly the next summer, with beautiful yellow flowers that butterflies loved. Sadly, the next summer it as gone. I have been wanting seed ever since and have been unable to find a source for.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Packera Aurea Puts On a Springtime Show in Sun or Shade
This vigorous native ground cover welcomes bees with its early-blooming flowers and makes an attractive lawn alternative
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Garden Combo: 6 Beautiful Plants for a Shady, Wet Site
Transform a shade garden with moisture-loving golden grasses, textural leaves and a sprinkling of flowers
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Tsuga Canadensis ‘Bennett’
Bennett Canadian hemlock thrives in shade and provides sculptural interest in eastern U.S. gardens
Full Story