SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandpapertongue

Tearing out existing shrubs

Sandpaper Tongue
6 years ago

I want to do a front yard makeover this spring. I would love some advice and to pick your collective garden smarts.

My house is surrounded by holly, barberry, and some evergreens of unknown origin. This was all planted long before I moved in. The holly and barberry are healthy and growing well, but I really don't like them. I hate the fact that they are so prickly (they are meant to be, I realize) and that I can't trim my bushes without hurting myself. I have yet to find a pair of leather gloves that can withstand the barbs from the barberry.

I have young kids and dogs and I just want plants that will stop hurting us.

The evergreens are sickly and look like they are dying. Two have already died and the the rest are brown and desiccated on one side.

What would you suggest? I'm thinking azaleas to replace the holly. And I have a good butterfly garden going in another section of my yard (includes rue, Joe Pye, coneflowers, milkweed) and I love to raise caterpillars with my kids (monarchs and black swallowtails), so I'd love something that could be a host plant or at least nectar plants for the butterflies. I'm thinking a spicebush would be a good option. Not sure how attractive it is, is it easy to care for, would the deer devour it?

My priorities

1) Easy to care for.

2) Won't be eaten immediately by deer. We don't get a ton of deer, but I'll be sad if I spent all my time and money on something that's going to be eaten to the ground.

3) Not unattractive.

I would show a picture but my house is blanketed by snow right now. So here is my super talented artistic depiction of my house.

Comments (23)