SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Speaking of make up...

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

I came across this video of a woman demonstrating the correct way to apply make up...she uses the same product on both sides, but on one side she applies it the typical way and on the other the 'correct' way. I found it interesting. I'll have to try and see if it makes a difference on me. I think she makes some good points, that it's not just the product but the application too. But it's also individual. I suspect each eye shape probably has a "best" way to apply for that shape and hers might not work best on every eye. What do you think?

Comments (49)

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I'll have to watch the video later but I assume the side with the not square brow is the best side? I will say that I do NOT like the wing eyeliner. And especially not on an old woman like myself. I just think the wings look silly and do not flatter the eye. I hate that squared off eyebrow which I also see a lot of girls doing these days...looks terrible. I'll comment later after I watch the video...I love makeup videos.

• H B
    6 years ago

Fascinating! Clearly two different looks!

• Related Discussions

Should I speak up or not?

Q

Comments (40)
    Where I work we have many customers. Some are really great, and some are not well run businesses overall, but have some very nice employees. Recently, we received an email from a very nice employee from a not that well run business saying that Friday was her last day at The XYZ Company. That she had enjoyed working with all of us, and had learned a lot. It showed a lot of class that as she didn't have anything nice to say about her employer, she didn't say anything at all. It was a first rate show of good manners on her part. She gave her gmail email to anyone who wanted to keep in touch. I emailed her back on that with good wishes. Fast forward about a month and I get a linked in update on her new position at a great company. Was so happy for her. I know you are retiring from the workplace, but you will surely see people socially, and maybe at community functions, church, volunteer organizations, etc. I think that it is in your best interest to let what you don't say about the job you are leaving tell how you feel. If you don't outright say anything bad, no one can repeat your negative comments in a way over which you have no control.
    ...See More

OT--Autism Speaks--Light it Up Blue campaign

Q

Comments (1)
    The photos on the website are worth seeing famous places around the world lit with blue lights. Here is a link that might be useful: Light it up photos
    ...See More

Speak up Pebble Fina owners...tell me what you think

Q

Comments (29)
    @ambiguous02 YESS!! Cielo blue has been my first choice, but my builder uses NPT product (stonescapes brand, not pebbletec) …but just found out from the owner we might be able to go with Cielo after all. I have a sample of the material but I would also love to see some finished pools! There are almost NO pics online of this color..and I been searching for almost a year. From what I’ve read, it’s a clear-light blue-green which is exactly what I want. Photo is of the sample shown wet with water.
    ...See More

Speaking of stocking up

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks-I love Dunkin Donuts. Never bought their holiday coffees, but since you recommended them, I'll try some. I do usually buy DD gift certificates and use them as Christmas gifts. My two college-age daughters get them in their stockings.
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree. I saw this video a while back and she doesn't say it's a universal look. She's just comparing popular application techniques. I can't wear a winged liner either. Ali Andreea is one of the better makeup artists I've found on YT. Another one with a deft touch is Aly Art. My absolute favourite though is Lisa Eldridge. (She has a couple of videos on universally flattering looks that are worth checking out. ETA: All her videos are worth checking out.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks suzmtl, I'll have to check those out. I tend to put my make up on in the same way for years, and then decide I need an update...times change and so does my face!

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Just remembered another eye-opening (pun intended) video about application techniques: Facelift Makeup

It really is about application, not product.

• dragonflywings42
    6 years ago

Opting to comment here purely out of self interest, I guess. I've never used makeup except for some blush or eyeliner... way in the past. I often love it on other people, so please don't take this as a negative question. Those of you who have used makeup for a long time, have you ever wished you didn't? Do the benefits outweigh the time it takes to put on or take off? Have you ever felt that makeup affected your skin in a negative or positive way? I am genuinely curious and I have absolutely no agenda.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

You're welcome, Annie. For someone who barely wears makeup, I have spent an inordinate amount of time watching makeup videos. They're a bit addictive.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Other than a few years of no-makeup-no-bra-no-shaving, I have worn makeup to some degree for most of my 73 years, starting in middle school. Today what works for me (concealer, foundation, eyeliner, blush, mascara, tinted gloss) takes at most 5 minutes to apply. It takes a fraction of that to remove. It's so easy.

One of the BEST things I ever did was start using Latisse. With longer, thicker, darker lashes, I can skip mascara entirely. It makes such a difference.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Her bad side looks better than most makeup that I see on everyday women...I DID watch the video BTW...HA! I'm sitting around snowed in on the SECOND DAY OF SPRING...ACK! It's really cramping my style....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've worn make up most of my life. Now that I'm retired, I only put it on when I'm going out, though I use a moisturizer every day with spf. I do find that it's worth the time I put into it as it makes me feel better and it makes me look better. Some people -- like my college roommate -- is so beautiful that she'd look gorgeous even waking up first thing in the a.m. I am far from that lucky. I'm one of those on who makeup makes a big difference so I definitely still use it -- probably always will. Though I do try to update how I use it as I age.

• schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I think she looks prettier without the makeup. Perhaps a little mascara would look nice.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Just watched the video. She’s very good, cute and funny. She looks totally different without makeup, much younger. Or rather, the makeup makes her look older. I don’t wear close to that much. My goal is to look okay when I’m in broad daylight.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Takes me ten minutes to do a make up job that doesn't look made up. Without it I'm bland lol.

• leela4
    6 years ago

I'm another non-makeup wearer, and can totally relate to what dragonfly and suzmtl posted above. The most I ever wear is a little blush, eyeshadow and mascara. And that's only when I am going out to something special. However, I go through periods where I think I could benefit from more, especially towards the end of winter when I am particularly dead looking (I'm old.)

But it's hard for me to use more makeup than that, as it feels weird to me (especially something like foundation.) I've never watched a makeup video before so now I will.

• User
    6 years ago

Oops, I've been skipping a lot of steps- primer, concealer, powder, highlighter.

The square eyebrow..."should be against the law." She's right!

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I used to wear mascara. Until I started reacting to it and would cry it all away. Lately I found a mineral one that works but keep forgetting to put it on.

Never wore face makeup as I have a reaction to just about absolutely everything.

I tried to get into putting something like Latisse on my eyelashes but kept on forgetting. Will keep trying though because I am interested in having noticeable lashes. Also would love to have less scant eyebrows.

As far as the face part of it goes I probably would still not use it. Too afraid to try it all over my skin after having so many problems with just about every product.

• bpath
    6 years ago

I went to university where there were a lot of debs and pageant girls. A few were my friends and they showed me how to do makeup. I looked great but oh, it's not my style. Now I wear about 15% of what Ali is showing, and for dressing up I add only a little more. But I will try her way of applying blush, I never think I get it right. And maybe I should try the highlighter.

But I was distracted by the subtitles. I tried to learn Romanian several years ago but couldn't find a good resource, but I'm still intrigued by its mix, so I kept trying to read it and listen at the same time lol. I'm such a nerd!

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Oh jeez...by the time she got to the setting powder, I would already be out the door. That is way too much effort for every day!

I do need to try a beauty blender, though.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

She’s a cutie! I wear less makeup as I get older but never as much as she demonstrated. She would probably give me an A- on my application techniques.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I'm too lazy for all of that. Moisturizer, foundation, eye makeup and blush. That's it for me.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I thought it was a GREAT teaching video. Thanks for sharing. If you saw the incorrect side alone, it be hard to see errors other than too much makeup. But comparison style is superb. I’ve used an eye primer for a while b/c shadows stays longer and doesn’t crease. May try a face primer.

• User
    6 years ago

I've seen that video before. I enjoy watching half face what to do/what not to do ones. I can get sucked into youtube videos for hours.

I wear makeup daily. It only takes me about 15 min. depending. Really the only difference when going out is extra time spend on my lashes. My lashes are long but stick straight out. We fight daily. The difference having curled lashes makes on the size of my eyes is astounding. Getting back on track, my goal is to even out and enhance what I have. I prefer a cleaned up, polished look. I'm in my 30s but spent too much time in the sun so I have enlarged pores, fine lines. and I still have hormonal break outs which leaves purple marks that take forever to go away. People think I have 'good skin' when my makeup is on. I had a nasty virus around Christmas. Out of state relatives of DH's stopped in unexpected (ugh!) early one morning before I had time to get cleaned up for the day. I was quite embarrassed with my chicken hair, no makeup, and comfy clothes. I had a left over cough but was pretty much over it. Well, they thought I was sick! Later on I was receiving get well wishes from other family later on because they were saying how I was 'really sick'. I wasn't insulted and actually laughed. It is what it is. I even wear foundation for a clean canvas (a no makeup makeup look) to go to the pool or beach. I'll go under water with it on too but am careful to just wipe at my eyes. I am very thankful for makeup.

It only takes a few min. to remove. I just use dove soap (I know that's incorrect) and then take a q-tip with baby shampoo over my lashes to get the leftover liner and mascara off.

I don't think it has had a negative effect on my skin but my best friend who lives at a beach now thinks her skin has been better since going more without. I think it depends on skin type, what you're using, and climate.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

It is interesting and I agree with most of what she is saying. I could tell the ‘bad side’ from the ‘good side’ before I even started the video from the eyebrow and blush. I thought her eyebrows looked pretty good au naturel without so much enhancement. The makeup smoothed out her skin and her eye makeup was a sophisticated look. Not my everyday, or even most of my evening look for that matter.

i switched to tinted moisturizer several years ago. I still use a serum and then a moisturizer, then concealer and the tint. It’s by Revision and you don’t buy a certain color, rather it blends to your natural color. Then I add a cream blush and a little eye shadow and mascara. Brows too if they need a little color. Mine are very pale, almost not there but I have been dying them so don’t need anything but a little shading when it starts to fade after about 3 weeks.

For more coverage for special occasions I use the tint and then an illuminating foundation and a little highlighting powder. I finish off with a few spritzers of ELF setting spray. That stuff really works. I read that ‘older women’ shouldn’t use powder but should try the setting spray. It really is nice.

Linelle, I finally got some Latisse this week and am trying it. I bought a cheap brand from Amazon to try when we were discussing in a thread a few months ago. Didn’t do anything. Except I don’t think my eyelashes fell out while using mascara as they did before.

and bossy, I agree about the eye primer. It’s a must use for me. I also use a long wear eye shadow if I know I’m going to be out all day.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Back in the day, I used to wear a lot of colorful makeup like this but nowadays, it's more about just looking "not tired". I've always felt that I personally needed makeup or else I looked sickly and tired but now it's really bad. I cannot wear the same makeup that I once loved to wear...I would look like a clown if I tried. I never wear any contour, highlighter or bronzer and liquid eyeliner looks way too much for my eyes. I just wear the basics but I do always wear makeup if I'm going out to eat or to the store. I always wear foundation even to go to the dog park because my face is red and my nose is red without it, it also help protect the skin from the sun. I have to say "getting old ain't for sissies!" UGH! Makeup used to be a lot of fun...now it's just a necessity so I don't scare anyone. HA! My makeup routine takes 5 minutes and my husband thinks I look great and that's all that matters...right?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do need to try the eye primer. I use a primer on my lashes and what a difference! I can make my lashes look so lush!

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Outside, yay Latisse!!

How long did you try the Amazon stuff that didn't work? I saw the teensiest sign of growth after 3 weeks with Latisse. I could see it for sure by 7 weeks. I did trim one lash that got way ahead of its brethren and looked silly. By 12 weeks, oh my. BTW I am still on my first bottle that I started using on October 18, so I've passed the 5-month point. I have inadvertently missed 3 nights of application. I'm thinking I might have another week left in the bottle. The nurse at the place I go said I could probably cut back to every other night, but I'm going to do every night for a while. It's amazing how far ONE DROP goes: eyelashes and eyebrows.

I had a funny--not really funny--dream last night. I was curling my lashes on the left side (only ones I do now) and the lash curler turned into scissors and I cut them all off near the lash line. I was horrified! It was such a relief to wake up and feel that I still have lashes on that side.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I bought the Roman & Fields for $135 and I haven’t seen lash growth; however my eyebrows are noticeably fuller. I don’t remember my lash line itching but with this product they do, a little. I will use the whole thing b/c reviews said results were slow to come. But I think I will go back to Latisse.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

Have y'all tried heating your eyelash curler (just a little) with the blowdryer? That was the game changer for me. If I don't curl my lashes, I may as well not even bother with mascara. I agree that primer makes a big difference. But I can't imagine all that contouring for a day face. I watched a Jo Malone video, or maybe infomercial, once and it really stuck with me. She said it's all about smooth, even skin. That's what makes us look "pretty". So I take care of my skin. I also use The Balm blush stain right after I moisturize, under my foundation. It really looks like a healthy flush.

• DYH
    6 years ago

Powder, contour, bronze, blush and highlighter -- I've used all of those for blacktie events only. Daily use -- only powder and blush. Too many brushes to clean!

I'd like to see her put the cat eye eyeliner on someone over 60. Just speaking for myself. I wear eyeliner, but never cat eye because I can't get a smooth line out past my upper lashes.

Thanks for sharing the video.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Why, r u afraid it would look like this???

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Linelle, I have been using the cheap stuff for about 3 months or so now. I meant to get the Latisse at the end of January when I went to have a cyst removed and I forgot. I went back the other day for a post visit and asked about it, so they sold me a kit for $65! They have this Brilliant Distinctions program for all their skin care services, and the Latisse also had a special deal, so they knocked off a total of I think $50.

I can’t wait to see some results, so it’s great to know you saw a difference in 3 weeks! That wasn’t a dream, that was a nightmare!

• bbstx
    6 years ago

I can't find who now, but whoever uses Dove to clean your face, try Cetaphil - the one with the blue cap, not the green cap. It is very gentle and doesn't dry your skin.

I've used make-up all my life and I do no believe it has harmed my skin at all. In fact, I think it might have protected it to a degree.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Outside, I also use Brilliant Distinctions and it helps quite a bit. Hope you get great results from Latisse!

• Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I've always loved makeup though i’m not very adept at it. I wore it everyday when working but since I retired only when going out to dinner and such....not just to run to the grocery.

I've tried primer but I could never tell the difference. And i dont see how contour and bronzer are much different. I like how she used contour on the hairline because i can never get the foundation to fill in there.

I have recently started using the Tarte Shape Tape concealer but man....did she use a lot! I use just a tiny dab.

Im not sure i could get used to all those different brushes much less remember which is which.

Thanks....Ill be checking out the other videos mentioned. I love these makeup and product threads!

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Joanie, I agree with too much Tarte Shape Tape...I use only a tiny one dot of concealer and sometimes that is too much. I see the makeup gurus do this all the time...dot dot dot dot dot dot dot all under the eyes....what a huge waist of product.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I use L'Oreal mineral powder foundation...I find I like it even better than the bare escentuals. I use a shade lighter under my eyes and a shade to match my skin overall. I never used to get compliments on my complexion, ever. But now I do. I also find it faster and easier to apply than liquids. I never use bronzer or contour stuff -- unless it's halloween!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

I've worn make up since I was in 3rd grade. I have a dark birthmark on my chin. I had school break and my parents took me to my grandmother's for the week - I went to school with my cousin and kids made fun of me - I came home crying. My dear father took me to a Lydia O'Leary store and bought Covermark make up for me. I still remember what it smells like.

Since then I've had numerous laser treatments that helped to lighten it and treat the puffy asymmetry. I never leave my house without make up on my face.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

Contour and highlighter should be applied in different areas based on the shape of your face, this helps to create a balanced look - and definitely these products have to be blended properly or they look awful! I think the square ‘instagram makeup’ brow on the right side of the screen should be blended better, and if she had applied a highlighter under the brow starting at the middle and extending to where the brow ends, it would have given a lift to her eye area visually similar to what the left side has (my iPad has trouble with video playback so I’m only able to go by the image there without watching at the present moment),

If using contour there’s normally not going to be much need to also add bronzer, but it depends on skin tone and the finished look you’re aiming for. I am super extra pale so the make up forever powder shading and highlighter I use is from their collection where you ‘create your own’ palette, the contour and one of the highlighters are matte finish, and the other highlighter is a satin finish (somewhat shimmery but subtle). I don’t use traditional foundation, only a tinted brightening moisturizer that gives an even tone without the cakey appearance. I use make up forever HD translucent powder dusted lightly over the t zone and cheeks at the very end of my makeup routine to set everything.

I tint my own eyebrows with dye once a month and use Anastasia dip brow on the days where I know I will need a more or less waterproof brow, and brow wiz the rest of the time - tinting helps make my brows less invisible (I’m a blonde) and then I just fill in the few sparse areas with the Anastasia product(s). Eye makeup varies based on what I’m doing for the day, sometimes it’s eyeliner along the lash line and that’s it, other times it’s liner, mascara, and for evening or events I go all out with liner, shadow, and what is considered ‘natural look/style’ false lashes so they’re not crazy showgirl looking but have more oomph than my own with mascara. It takes me 10 minutes for the minimal look, 15 for the middle upgrade and 20 for everything including false lashes. When I was in college it could easily take me over an hour and a half to get ready with makeup and hair, but once in my 30s I started paring down my routine and pressing the snooze button more. ;)

• bpath
    6 years ago

What was that egg-shaped blender Ali used? I use (gasp) my fingers to apply the BB. How do you use the blender?

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Probably a Beauty Blender, an expensive makeup sponge. Fingers are fine!

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

Beauty blenders can be used to pat powder products on, and also to blend liquid products that you apply with fingers at first but want to achieve a more even look.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

The egg shaped make-up sponges are not expensive. I love the tiny end. I don't wear foundation per se, just use a bit of concealer where needed and love the tiny end to blend around eyes, nose, etc. I then use a bit of mineral powder. I've found as I've gotten older that less is more and caring for your skin is very important. You don't need alot of make-up but what you do wear should emphasize your good features. (I focus on my eyes.) The eyeliner shown is too extreme but the technique will open and lift the eye. I didn't watch the video and don't know what she says about concealer, but don't go lighter under your eyes as you'll get a racoon effect. LOL or that I've been tanning with sunglasses on look. If you have dark shadows under your eyes, a concealer with a bit of peach/pink will help with that.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

Gasp...I don't own a Beauty Blender either! I've been tempted but I have not had luck with a wet sponge with the makeup that I use so I do not believe the BB would work for me anyway. I use a DRY flat compact foundation sponge for my foundation. I normally use compact or stick foundation...it's my preference.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

You're right, tinam61, I shouldn't have said those sponges were expensive. That's a relative statement. The original BeautyBlender sponge retails for $20 at Sephora and knock-offs are available at lesser price points in different retailers.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

She's adorable . . . and very talented! Here in New Mexico, with our bright, clear skies and high altitude, makeup applied badly (or too much) shows up very obviously. In my teens and twenties, I lived by and in the water elsewhere, and never had much time for anything but a bit of mascara, lip gloss and blush. Fast forward to having a beautiful daughter in a sorority at college. They all seemed to watch a LOT of these how-to videos, and became makeup experts! As a result, DD was always buying me new makeup things, like different applicator brushes for everything, and one of those liquid makeup applicator egg sponge things. OMG, I even sound like an amateur (LOL)! I still am, but I do use the egg sponge thing, wet like you're supposed to, whenever I do actually apply liquid makeup . . . which is only in the evenings if we're going out someplace special. And then, only when I remember to use it! I did enjoy learning here how to apply contour powder the correct way. DD has shown me before, but she put it on me and her hand was always blocking me from seeing much. I was fascinated with how this gal applied her mascara, but need to watch it again to make sure I got it right. Cat-eye eyeliner is so NOT me, but DD did teach me to apply it along the waterline (under my upper lashes) and gently smudge it in between the upper lashes. That is a makeup trick that I now use all the time! Thanks Annie for the great video. I enjoyed it a lot.

BTW, did anyone else see the strong resemblance between this makeup expert and Sandra Bullock? I thought that without makeup, they could be sisters.

• happilady
    6 years ago

She's talented but I think her good side makeup is too much for daytime/daylight. Ok for evening. I don't care for the winged eyeliner.

I almost always wear makeup, but I like a natural look and it only takes about 5 minutes. I've never regretted starting to wear it. I find primer on my eyelids helps my beigy eyeshadow last all day.

• User
    6 years ago

Real quick ... Beauty blenders do make a big difference in how foundation & concealer look. I use the Real Techniques one. It's about $5. It is different than a makeup sponge. (I didn't believe it until I tried.) The material is different. More dense. I wet mine and squeeze out very well sometimes using a little toilet paper to get excess out then pounce away.

ETA - fingers, sponge, brush all work and I didn't bother to try a beauty blender type sponge until about 6 months ago because I figured it was bunk. If I'm home, I'll often trying different techniques or makeup products on on half my face with something else on the other side to compare. Nothing wrong with the other techniques, and I still will use them at times, but the finish is just nicer with the bb.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

I was truly amazed by the difference between techniques of application. I can definitely see a difference between using your fingers and brush or sponges for foundation. Right now I'm using a dense flat topped foundation brush, damp to apply my liquid foundation.