SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jungleexplorer

What is the Best place in Texas for growing Fruit and Vegetables?

The Jungle Explorer
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Okay. So I have lived in Jones county Texas for the last 11 years on 20 acres. In those years I have fought an endless battle to try and produce my own food. I have had little success. It seems like all of nature is fighting me with everything it has got. I could write a large book on all the things I have tried and how they have failed miserably, because of one element of nature or the other. I have spent tens of thousands and worked myself into the ground and I have nothing to show for it. I have had it! I am selling out starting over somewhere else while I still have the chance and strength to do so. My question is, WHERE?

I did not choose to come to my current location; the land was given to me. Now I know why! But now, I want to choose where I move to. I want to make this choice off of firm research and facts. I am hoping I can get some of that here from people who share the same passion as I.

So what I am looking for? I am looking for the best region of Texas that is the most FAVORABLE for growing the widest variety of of fruit and vegetables. I know that you can grow just about anything, just about anywhere, with enough work and investment. But what I am looking for is the region of Texas where it is EASIER and more Favorable then others.

I am basically looking for a new Homestead, where I will live till I die. I want to produce most of my own food, from fruits and veggies to, meat eggs and milk (goats).

This is a huge life decision for me and I would appreciate some really good advice on helping me decided where to start this journey. Thanks in advance.

Comments (45)