SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Just another Florida thunderstorm -- NOT!!!

dirtygardener
6 years ago

A large clap of thunder woke me up around 5:45 a.m. I got up to see how bad the storm was, and suddenly, the lights went out. Luckily, I keep several candles and a box of matches on a shelf in the LR, so I grabbed the flashlight and got those going. Power came back on in a couple of hours, but internet was still down.

I went to take my garbage out and saw that limbs were down everywhere, two large ones blocking the drive to our parking lot. Then I saw the Cox cable trucks, so I figured internet would be back up soon. No such luck.

Seems a supercell came through here, snapped the top out of a 50 ft tall pine tree that was big enough to be a tree itself - it went completely across the road. On its way down, it took down power lines, and the master cable that goes to the node at the end of our dead-end street that serves about a six square block area which includes a couple of large apartment complexes and several smaller ones like mine.

I had no internet all day. Just got it back about 10 minutes ago. They had to be out there working in the pouring rain to get this internet back up. I don't even own a t.v., so all I knew was that the storms were still coming through, nothing about how strong or weather warnings or anything. I went on my phone to try to get some info, but couldn't get the weather app to work, so I just had to ride it out. Power went out again very shortly.

My gardens are fine, in fact, before I had gone out and found how bad it had been, I was outside digging up and replanting sweet potatoes from one spot to another, and putting some purple stem taro (eddoe) plants along the fence.

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow too. Well, at least I don't have to water! Hey - silver lining, and all that stuff. Gotta look at the positive side. PLUS, I got to read all day, since I work online and couldn't work. Nice!

Ain't Florida fun???

Comments (4)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Glad you're okay, Deb.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not just FL:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5201232/north-alabamianstake-cover

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh my! Yellow skies in Alabama means tornadoes! Praying everyone is o.k. Haven't even checked the news this morning.

We have another severe weather warning today for high winds, and my friend down near Orlando says they got hit hard yesterday too, and weatherman says today will be worse. There were people here who didn't have power at 10:00 pm last night. The SW part of the city was hardest hit, but the NW part gets priority because of the Hospitals, University & downtown. We only get priority service because of the nursing home around the corner.

Boy, March has it all backwards this year! Came in like a lamb, going out like a lion!

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    6 years ago

Yesterday we got almost 2" of nice slow rain. Today it rained all morning and then the wind started. Quite blastery. But no complains. We needed the rain!

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, my plants are deliriously happy with the rain. The only casualty is that the new leaf on my tallest banana broke, but that's it. It was blustery today. We had some pretty bad wind gusts, and an early morning thunderstorm, but except for the wind, it was a beautiful sunny afternoon. Supposed to get more tonight.