SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte0124

duradek tiledek over living space -- mixed advice; who is right?

charlotte0124
6 years ago

We are building a new home on our lot and have a 'flat' roof deck (1/4" slope per foot, per code) with 3 deck areas connected, approx 1139 sq feet. Parapet walls on two decks, a 17' span of cable railing on another -- all sloped.

I've looked at every possible waterproofing solution for walking decks from TPO (not optimal) to duradek vinyl (do-able but 3 yr fade on vinyl) to polycoat to Polyurea. The waterproofing is key #1 and I am trying to balance look with function.

All companies insist their waterproof solution is the best. I prefer the tiledek solution for look and understand the base application is the 10yr warranty, with additional 'felt' for thinset tile overlay.

The only fails I've seen or heard of

is on the tile side, not the waterproof. Other companies are coming back with 'big fail' on waterproof. Who do I believe? Any input from homeowners who have tiled with durdek tiledek with no issues, and or with issues would be well appreciated.

The picture is of the tiledek install system which is ply, then durarock, then waterproofing and so on. If tile fails, waterproofing should still be intact, correct?

We're spending our life savings on this and want to get it right, with the right look. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)