SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

Tiling a Deck over Living Space: Hoarding and Tarp Work

By Any Design Ltd.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Working outside can be a joy or it can be an epic pain in the back side. Tiling outside no different. The weather is not your friend when your tiling. The changing temperatures, over night lows, rain and wind all wreck havoc on a tile installation.

The most challenging outside tile work I have done ever is on my own home. The photo below taken from my kitchen door looking South West.

My exterior deck is over living space and I choose to tile in the winter - because of scheduling and other reasons. The cold was brutal. The wind like ice.

Hoarding can be defined as a large board in a public place, used to display advertisements; a billboard. But is also know as a temporary board fence erected around a building site. This is the more common term in the tile business. Just like the farmers did back in the day planting trees around their fields and homes any fence or structure helps to calm or redirect the wind some what. Even a little plastic goes a long way of changing the temperature of the substrate. In the summer keeping the job in the shade can be the difference from being able to tile or not working at all.

The risks of not hoarding are huge. Thin-set can flash set before even getting tile set into it. Rain can ruin the job before it is even grouted. Plan to be safe.

Here are a couple pictures of what I did. I would love to see some other examples of hoarding work if you can share your pictures. I have another deck build coming up in the summer I hope and can use some more ideas. This deck I will not be able to nail into like I did on my home.

Looking North.

The heat source for this tile work was placed both in the room or space and under it. Most of the heat from beneath. I had all my cast iron column radiators daisy chained (connected one to the other) below the deck in my garage. I added a 500 watt shop light and space heater inside the plastic and with overnight lows below freezing the temperature inside the plastic stand at about 12 degrees. All that heat trapped by 6mil plastic and some duct tape, furring strips and nails.

Comments (17)