SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diyspa

Repair or resurface deck above living space

diyspa
14 years ago

I have a deck above a living space that is leaking. I found the issue but have had conflicting advice on repair. The original deck appears to be a poured concrete surface on top of of thick rubber membrane. The rubber membrane was not properly attached to the brick siding. When it is raining and windy the water runs down the side of the brick and behind the membrane and into the area below. For some unknown reason the poured concrete doesn't seem to have much if any slope. This must have caused a drainage issue and to remedy this the previous owner built up a 1/4" to 1ft slope on the concrete with a sloped sand base with a ceramic tile surface on top. That layer covered the top of the rubber membrane so I didn't see the real issue until I took off the layer of sand and tile. Here are a couple of pictures that show the issue.

My question is how to fix this. I would like to pull the entire deck up down to the joists and resurface and re-slope the surface. I want a tile deck and have read it is recommended to put down a 1.25" mortar bed and membrane. I like the wedi board material to replace the mortar bed. I'm pretty sure this is OK. The big question is how to flash the deck to the walls. The contractors say it is standard building practice to flash to the brick siding. I would like to have it flashed to the building wrap under the brick but that is a pretty expensive step. The deck is 29' x 13' with two open sides and two sides connected to the house. What is the best way to fix this?

Thanks much in advance for the help.

Comments (11)