SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Techniques for painting over wallpaper on paneling?

Forever Now
6 years ago

Before anyone tells me to just put up drywall let me explain that while we intend to do that in the future, we have a long list of things that need to take precedence in the remodeling of our old early 1900's farmhouse. We're looking for a quick fix for now to make the rooms more bearable until we can do it right. The back rooms in the upstairs are all awful dark floral/striped wallpapers over paneling, so even if we managed to strip off the wallpaper (a big IF) we'd still just have paneling, so painting over it seems to be the best short term solution.

I've been doing some research which suggests cleaning the walls, the applying a oil-based sealer primer then painting. I was wondering if:

1) just cleaning with a mild dish soap solution would be good enough? I've seen suggestions to use TSP but not only do I not want to use chemicals if I can help it, I've also seen TSP suggested for removing wallpaper, so I'm worried it would compromise it. I'm pretty sure it's vinyl wallpaper if that matters.

2) I was wondering about using texture. Like maybe a texture paint or paint additive. I figure once the busy wallpaper pattern is not there to distract your eye the wallpaper seams and the underlying paneling texture might pop out more, so perhaps a texture would be good. Has anyone tried this? What kinds/brands would you suggest? I'm assuming any texture would have to go on after the primer? Would that mean you'd have to prime yet again before painting? DH thinks we shouldn't bother since we'll be drywalling at some point. However, I suspect that really might be a long way off and want it as nice as can be made for now.

3) Lastly, what do you think the repainting possibility is of this? After it's been painted once would repainting be the same as any wall, or would their be issues? I ask because it might affect paint color choices, especially in my children's rooms. I'd be more inclined to pick a fun color that we'd want to change in a few years vs a neutral color meant to last until we can drywall if repainting would be easy.

I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, once again there are a lot of more urgent remodeling/repairs the primary budget has to go to. The kids keep asking to paint their room though so thought it would be a good Spring Break project.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Comments (10)