SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiltsrhott

Whole house paint colors for older home with dark trim...

Erika
6 years ago

It's tough to find photo examples of paint colors that coordinate with natural wood trim. I want to update/refresh my home with the wood trim in tact. I haven't done a lot of decorating since moving into my house. It's a slow processes trying to hone a style on a tight budget. I know most articles on choosing paint colors suggest having other decor in place before choosing paint, but it will likely take us years to get there, and I feel painting is an affordable step we can take right now that will help us improve the feel of our space.

I'm going for an updated look that meshes well with historic elements in the home, such as the wood trim, wood floors, and original antique silver-colored radiators. Original wood work is american chestnut so it's not super dark and has a variety of red and orange undertones. My furniture is a mix of antiques and custom Amish-made pieces. My decorating style is somewhat eclectic with a mix of bohemian, equestrian and subtle gothic elements. There will be custom paintings of dragons, crows, horses and unicorns, but nothing girly. Paintings and decor will have a dangerous or creepy vibe. I intend to keep the blue/gray/green antique wall paper in the powder room, and in various closets throughout the house. Stained glass will be used for privacy on select windows.

Thus far, I have chosen Sherwin Williams Needlepoint Navy for the living room, Chelsea Gray for the kitchen and dinging room, and Jade Dragon for the foyer. There is currently a green very similar to the Jade Dragon in the foyer. It looks great with the trim and the gray/green tile throughout the foyer, kitchen and mud room. It blends with the tile and really brings out the red in the trim. All the other walls are a neutral cream color that looks very yellow at night in artificial light. I hate it and want to cool that down.

The paint chips look good against my trim in afternoon and evening light. I will try in morning light tomorrow... but I'm still nervous about how they will look in full on the wall. I'll paint test swatches before making a final decision.

Do you guys think these colors would work together? These rooms are all connected and have sight lines to each other so need to work together. Any other color suggestions? I'll need more than 3 colors for a whole house scheme. I think the Chelsea gray might carry well up the stairs and into the upstairs hall. I'm thinking I'll start on the first floor and then work my way up and down the stairs to the other floors.

Does anyone have examples of these colors in action? If you have wood trim, what colors work well on your walls?

Comment