SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_blackmon

gray lesion on base of Sango Kaku

I don't believe this spot was present on the base of this Sango Kaku when I planted it in the ground late last summer. We had a string of nights in January where the temps got down to the low teens. Otherwise it's been a normal Southern winter. I don't see any obvious lesions anywhere on this tree really other than this one.

I live in the SC Piedmont region (8a). I'm including a pic of the buds and baby leaves. Not included are pics of two long, whip-like branches rising a significant height above this group of opening buds. Those two branches had buds on them a couple of weeks ago. Since then we've seen four or five nights of freezes in a row. Maybe that took them off? Now I see very tiny buds on those long branches. The depth of the red color on the bark gets more intense from the bottom of the tree to the top.

Long story short, do I dig the tree up and haul it off to the landfill? I've read many, many post describing a bacterial condition that eventually kills the maple, and one of the tell-tale signs is a black lesion. Of course my thoughts first went to that. But I don't think the tree looks particularly stressed or unhealthy right now. I'm new to this so maybe it looks bad to you guys.

In addition to planting it at the wrong time (late summer) I also apparently planted it too close to the side of my house. Not sure what to do about that right now. I think I first need to know if the tree's gonna live.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Comments (6)