SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Resisting the Temptations

No, not the musical group.

Over this past summer we moved from South Florida, where I had been growing and maintaining a huge, elaborate garden for 19 years. Prior to that, my four decades in NJ had been all about houseplants. While I lived in Florida, I had absolutely no plants in the house; there was no need. We did have a nice screened patio that had around 40 plants in pots, but everything else was in the ground outside.

So now that we're living Colorado I've gone back to houseplants. My biggest problem is fighting the temptation to buy more plants than I have usable window space to fit. I brought a lot of plants with us when we moved: Aralias in 1-gallon cans and a dozen wood boxes filled with orchids and tilandsia, even a Syngonium and an Emerald Gem in a 3-gallon cans. These Florida transplants (actually the Aralias were cuttings brought home from Jamaica and Costa Rica) have pretty much filled the windows. Yet I go into the local supermarkets and home improvement stores and there are all sorts of plants that I love and want. I've even gotten to the point where I go to the plant department first, just to get the temptations under control.

Truthfully, I don't know how much longer I can resist. The local HD just got a bunch of Ivy and Spider Plants. Lowes has beautiful Fiddle Leaf Figs. And the supermarket has Sanseveria! I think I need help...

Comments (6)