SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_in_ca

How do you manage watering in large containers?

This feels like a stupid question, but for the life of me I can't find an answer in these forums or elsewhere online.

I have a dozen or so smaller houseplants, and I water them all in the sink so that the water that drains through the pot goes right down the drain.

For those of you with indoor trees or other houseplants that are too large to take to the sink or tub for every watering, how do you manage the outflow from the drainage holes? Especially those planted in freely-draining mixes like 5-1-1 or gritty mix?

Are you just careful to water lightly enough that the outflow doesn't overflow the saucer, and then you let it evaporate? Or do you keep all your pots sitting in larger cachepots so that there's no risk of overflowing a saucer?

And either case, wouldn't the bottom of your plant be sitting in standing water for a significant portion of time?

I'd like to get some larger plants for my home but I just don't have a grasp of how I'd water the plants in-place without causing floods or ending up with my plants sitting in a puddle of standing water.

Comments (7)