SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Has anyone ever canceled non-refundable airline tickets?

gsciencechick
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Of course, the airline website is kind of vague about this.

Bottom line, we booked travel for a music festival here in the U.S. and one of the main acts we wanted to see, where we totally rearranged our work schedules in a major way--you have no idea how hard this was, just canceled their appearance. Cancellation for medical reasons, etc. are covered under the airline credit card and I had purchased travel insurance which it turns out I really didn't need after all since it covers the same thing.

So, what does one typically "lose" for this? Is there any way to get a credit voucher? The airfares for both of us are over $1,000 total (not each). We have first class on the leg out. We paid vs. using miles. Maybe that would have been a better option. We used the airline credit card.

We can re-sell the concert tickets on Ticketmaster resale. They were expensive since they in the VIP area with private bar and bathrooms.

The tickets always say "lineup subject to change" and there are no refunds unless the entire festival is canceled. Up until the past couple of days the date was listed on the band website which made me very suspicious. We got burned at another local festival a few years back that was advertised "rain or shine" though it poured the entire day which was known the whole week before it would rain. We heard literally 15 minutes of music, paid $400 for the tickets andVIP area for both of us, and got a 10% refund.

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments (16)