SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrilyn23

Warneckii with a water wick - what do I do?

merrilyn23
6 years ago

Just moved offices at my work and I bought a beautiful Warneckii from Home Depot to replace an old office plant that I couldn't rescue (not that I know too much anyway). The Warneckii is labeled "15oz WaterWick" (Costa Farms) and sure enough has a water wick hanging out from the bottom of its plastic container. There also appear to be roots trying to grow out of the small drainage holes in the container and I thought I'd try to re-pot to a larger pot. (I have the old office plant's pot that is about twice the size of the Warneckii's container - it is a pot with drainage holes that is inside a second plastic liner, so holds excess water a bit.).

However, the WaterWick has a plastic piece that makes it impossible to remove the plant from the container it was sold in (which again appears to be too small) without cutting the container apart. That made me think to ask what the best way to re-pot a water-wicked plant is? Should I cut apart the plastic container and try to thread the wick through the large pot's drainage hole? Should I get rid of the old soil from the large pot? I have no idea how long the old office plant lived in that pot.

Comments (7)