SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eljardindelaalegria2014

What do you do to encourage basal shoots? (Other than applying Epsom S

What do you do to encourage basal shoots? (Other than applying Epsom Sales)

All the roses in my garden are planted with the graft knot sunk a few centimeters. This encourages the development of roots above those of the rootstock. I like roses with a wide base and I prefer them to roses that all their branches come from a central point.

In my country (Spain) in all climates (there are several climatic zones within it) you can grow all the roses without frost danger.

In general, my roses are emitting basal shoots but some resist.

I was wondering if you have any technique that works for you with those roses that are more reluctant to emit new stems from the base.

I've been growing my garden for four years and a little more. During this time I wanted to do some test in relation to Epsom salts by providing magnesium sulfate to some roses and others not to see the different results.

Honestly I have not appreciated any difference in these four years. Most of my roses emit these outbreaks (those that received Epsom salts and those that did not receive as well). I think it's because of the way you plant them. That is to say, I believe that the fact that the rootstock knot is sunken favors the emission of these shoots.

Yesterday I posted an article in my blog in which I realize the observations that I made in my garden during this time. My blog is called "The Garden of Joy in Madrid." I have difficulties to use the translator because unfortunately I do not speak their language. As it is long the article I prefer that if anyone is curious to know about this article visit it in this link:

The application of Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulphate) promotes the basal buds of roses?

It would be very helpful for me if any of you shared a technique that has proven to work well. I have a few roses that are quite lazy when it comes to issuing new canes.

Thank you very much. By the way, I have been absent from this forum for a few months and I take this opportunity to send a warm greeting to all the participants.

Maria.

Comments (23)