SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

March 2018, Week 2, And The Planting Goes On.....

The March weather still seems fairly unsettled and able to change on a dime, but doesn't it seem to y'all like we are sliding more and more into Spring-like weather and further and further away from Winter?

Spring is busting out all over here with redbuds now joining the fruit trees in blooming, more and more early wildflower blooms appearing daily and other less-wanted signs like the appearance of some venomous snakes out and about earlier than normal. This is at least the third year in a row for early snakes and it is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Our bermuda grass is greening up. Of course, y'all know how I feel about that devil grass--so other than the fact that I like seeing green grass as opposed to brown grass, there's nothing good about the fact that it is greening up. As this point the weedy winter grasses still are outgrowing it though, and their green is a richer, deeper hue.

Most of my cool-season planting is done now, and the succession crops of similar cool-season plants ought to go into the ground by next weekend, unless fire activity interferes in that. Regardless, I'll get them in the ground as soon as they are hardened off. This week's wind might make the hardening off a bit of a challenge as plants will need to be positioned where they are allowed to receive sunshine but not too much wind at once.

Speaking of wind, we have a little bit of it down here this morning. When the cold front roared through while we were sleeping, our wind was gusting as high as 47 mph, and the high gusts lasted several hours, which explains why I kept hearing bells. It was the wind chimes on the front porch going bonkers in the strong wind. Now the wind is only gusting in the 30s, but our fire danger already is High and is expected to hit Extreme shortly. It is likely to be one of those days.

The tender little lettuce transplants were not real happy with yesterday's high temperature of 83 degrees, but I gave each a little drink with the watering can and mulched them as well as I could to help protect them from today's strong winds. March weather is always so hard on transplants, even when they seem like they are hardened off pretty well.

Mother Nature's creatures are waking up. We're seeing more cottontail bunnies now, and there were lots of black wasps and red wasps out yesterday, as well as a couple of butterflies and some mosquitoes. We still haven't seen any ticks here yet, and not many grasshoppers. With the warming soil temperatures, I do expect to start seeing grasshopper nymphs hatching out soon. Best of all, though, was hearing all the frogs croaking down at the pond and creeks last evening. We have a lot of frogs. When we first moved here, we tried sleeping with the windows open in Spring, but there's so many frogs croaking so loudly at night that it keeps you awake, so we had to give up that idea. I'd rather have the frogs than to be able to sleep with an open window.

This week's gardening work will include potting up tomato plants into SOLO cups. This will be the last potting up for them, and the Tomato Weather Watch now is in effect as I track our soil temperatures, air temperatures and forecast to determine when it will be time to put the first tomato plants in the ground. Don't worry. I'm not talking about doing that this week---just starting to watch the weather to figure out which week it can happen. Our weather is all over the place from highs in the 80s to lows in the 30s, so it needs to settle down some and get more consistently warm at night first.

Warm season flower, herb and veggie volunteers are starting to pop up in the garden, even as cool season ones continue to emerge as well. There's a distinct lack of henbit this year, and I don't understand it. While it is an annoying weed for many folks, I like that it normally blooms early, often as early as December or January, which provides blossoms for the butterflies, bees and such. This year there is none in our yard or garden yet. I don't mean that there's none in bloom---there's none period.

That's all that is going on here.Lillie and I have plans to plant her lily bulbs in the garden today, but we'll just have to see how our day progresses. One of us is still sleeping, and it obviously is not me. All is takes is one fire page and our plans change, so we have to be flexible and not tied to absolutely, positively having to do something on one specific day or at one specific time.

What are y'all doing in the garden this weekend? This coming week? I think everything on Tim's To Do List for yesterday afternoon and today has slid ahead to next weekend's To Do List. The overlap of winter fire season with early gardening work/planting always wrecks our plans in mid-March, and it already is happening here. During the one hour he was in the garden yesterday, he made great progress in consolidating two narrower raised beds into one larger one, but then had to leave to go to a fire.....that's the story of our lives around here. The soil in those raised beds was still very wet, so it probably isn't the worst thing if this garden chore doesn't get tackled again until next weekend.

Oh, and the store here are full of all kinds of tomato and pepper plants. People were carrying them out of the stores in droves yesterday. I hope they know what they are doing because it is too cold, still, to put either of those veggies in the ground here.

Dawn

Comments (97)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals