SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2018, Week 1......Finally Safe To Plant it All?

Let's pretend the wacky weather month of April is just over already and move on to May, alright? I'd like to think that at least maybe the cold nights in the 30s have ended. (sigh) To me, the early mornings with temperatures in the 40s still feel far too cold for this late in Spring, but that's what we're stuck with.

It is hard to guess what y'all are doing further north, so I'll do my best to describe what is happening in my garden down south this coming week and then, depending on how far north y'all are, you can take it from there. Most of you probably still are a bit colder up there than we are down here, but that cannot be helped since we cannot control the weather.

First, the existing plants....

The veggies: all the potatoes are up and growing well, and I've 'hilled up' both beds of them with mulch. There's not a sign of a Colorado Potato Bug yet and no diseases either, and we didn't have CPBs last year either, so my fingers are crossed.

The onions are doing great. We have one variety each of short-daylength, intermediate daylength and long daylength types and the number of leaves that each type has formed at this point is different. I find it interesting that they progress at different speeds. No sign of thrip damage on the onions this year. That's peculiar as the wind usually blows them into the garden either in March or April, not that I'm complaining. Now, because I said that, the next time I look at the onions, they'll have thrip damage.

The cool-season greens. I'm lumping these into one category--and this group includes lettuce, mustard, kale, spinach and collards. They all look great and are getting huge. I've been harvesting most of them for a while now, using the cut-and-come-again method. Some of the heading types or lettuce (both iceberg/crisphead types and butterhead types) are heading up already. I planted more lettuce than we ever could eat, so the chickens are going to be eating a lot of lettuce. Our chickens will eat collards and mustard greens, they'll nibble on lettuce, I don't give them spinach (it is all mine since its season is short) but they love, love, love kale. If even one chicken manages to get into the garden, it will eat kale until there is no kale left. That's why the chickens aren't allowed into the garden. The prettiest plants in the greens/brassica beds are the Must-Have Mustard Mix, the scarlet kale, the Purple Rapa Pop mustard and the Groninger Blue Collard-Kale. The plants that add tints of purple, blue and red stand out among the sea of green.

The asparagus. It has been producing forever and I am tired of it. I'm letting it fern out now. I could harvest for another few weeks as most of the spears are still very large, but I'm over it at this point. Tim doesn't really like asparagus, so I know I'm growing too much.

The rest of the brassicas---while they are growing well, they really are not growing as well as the cool-season greens, or at least they are not growing as quickly. Still, if it doesn't get too hot too quickly, we ought to have a good harvest of broccoli (I think I planted at least 5 different varieties) and we still have a good shot at getting brussels sprouts and cauliflower since they are getting the cooler nights they love. I just hope the days don't get too hot too quickly. It was 85 degrees down here on Saturday, according to our Min-Max thermometer, so that's getting a little warm for them. In order to get the best possible cauliflower heads, your cauliflower needs to mature before daytime highs start hitting 75 (ha, ha, ha) but that's nearly impossible here. This is why these crops are more of a crapshoot than broccoli. The good news is that the persistent cold has not yet caused broccoli down here to buttonhead, so that is a positive sign. The cabbages are just beginning to form heads but it will be a while before they reach a harvestable size.

The peas are doing great overall, but the edible podded peas are doing better than the flowering sweet peas. Those flowering sweet peas remain small and look stunted and none of them are close to blooming as far as I can tell. I don't know why. The edible podded peas are making good growth, and one of the three varieties is blooming now. We'll be eating peas soon.

The cool-season herbs mostly have not sprouted. I have one fennel and one dill plant that have sprouted, but planted lots of parsley (from transplants) so at least we'll have that for the swallowtails to eat....for as long as 15 parsley plants last them. The chamomile is doing great---up, growing, and some of them are blooming. Others are tiny. They've been all over the place in terms of when they sprouted.

The cool-season flowers (mostly violas, dianthus and pansies) seemed to just sit there, in bloom but not growing, in April. During this last week, they are putting out new foliar growth so I think their stall is over. I don't know it if was lack of rainfall or cold nights that left them almost in suspended animation for the month but they look better now. I sacrificed almost all the poppies and larkspur plants that popped up so I could add 4-6" of compost (I know! That's a lot, isn't it! I'm so excited for that section of the garden) to that bed. I finished adding the compost last week and transplanted a couple of flats of warm-season flowers to that bed this past week, but I'm sure the poppies and larkspur will return next year.

Warm-season: There's not a whole lot of warm season anything yet, but y'all know that I planted the first tomato plants in the third week of March and the rest of them a couple of weeks later. They are doing great. The first seven plants all have fruit, and both SunGolds have produced ripe ones already. The race is on between Cherokee Purple and Early Girl to ripen the first full-sized fruit, and this is a race that Early Girl does not necessarily win every year, so time will tell. The rest of the plants that went into the ground a couple of weeks later are a mixed bag---some are blooming already, some are not.

The bush beans I planted right around the same time I planted the first tomato plants are doing awesome. Granted, I covered them up on the same nights I covered up the tomatoes and that was a PITA at times, but worth it. Of the four varieties, one is actually in bloom---Contender. Both Royalty Purple Pod and Provider have blooms that are on the verge of opening...and have been that way for several days...but haven't bloomed yet. The fourth one seems slightly behind the others, but it probably has a longer DTM. Bush beans often get spider mites very early here, even before tomato plants do, so I planted marigolds (spider mite magnets in my garden) right beside the beans in the hopes that if the mites show up, they'll hit the marigolds first and I'll see them and yank out the marigold trap plants once the mites are on them but before they move to the beans.

This week, I'll be planting sweet corn, pole beans, summer squash and southern peas. Probably cucumbers too. Our soil temperatures definitely are warm enough for the beans and corn. The southern peas are trickier---usually they need warmer soil, but the volunteer southern pea that sprouted a month ago was doing fine (I yanked it out yesterday because it wanted to climb a tomato cage) so I am going to go ahead and plant the first round.

The nighttime lows and the soil temperatures are still too low for melons, okra and winter squash. Anyhow, they go into the back garden and I usually don't get around to planting it until May, so I have a couple more days to finish up the front garden and then move to the back garden.

There's not really anything much going on with warm-season flowering plants, except both annuals and perennials are growing well, especially given that the nighttime temperatures have been all over the place all month. Purple Homestead verbena is blooming, peonies have just begun to bloom and so has salvia farinacea. The first Texas hummingbird sage plant just popped up just week, as have a couple of moss rose volunteers. The larger Laura Bush petunias are about to bloom, and so is the first verbena bonariensis. The coral honeysuckle is blooming, but pretty much everything else is slower than previous years.

All our trees here are leafed out. Pecans, as usual, were last. I wish we could know what they know because somehow they usually know not to leaf out too early. Down here, it appears that at our place we did not lose our peaches, plums or wild plums (sand plums) to the late freezes. Yay! The dewberries are covered in blooms. The fig trees are still sleeping. Or dead. That's not unusual---they do not wake up too early when the nights are remaining chilly. The yards are a mix of cool-season weeds and bermuda grass. The pastures have been slow to sprout wildflowers, but there's more and more daily.

Rebecca, There are a couple of squirrels hanging out in the front yard and they watch me closely when I'm in the garden. Those little suckers make me nervous. I hope our long run of no-squirrel-damage in the garden is not about to end.

And, now, the first snake announcement of the year, breaking news as I type this....Tim opened the back door to let the dogs out into the dog yard, and after 2 of the 4 dogs ran out, a snake appeared on the back porch. Without knowing if it was venomous or not, he stomped on its head....but it slithered away off the porch. Ace and Princess are scared and had to be coaxed back in. Apparently snake stomping scares them. The first snake of the year usually is not spotted on the porch, but Tim said it had a bird about the size of a sparrow in its mouth. Darn it. It has been a quiet snake year so far and I was hoping the quiet would last a bit longer.

That's a summary of where our garden is at in terms of progress, and how I hope to help it move on with more warm-season plantings this week.

What's new with all of you and your gardens?

Oh, and heads up. In case you ignore the weather news, it looks like a Severe Weather event is likely to occur this week and likely will affect not only OK but parts of TX, KS and beyond as well. Be ready, have your plan in place, clean out those storm cellars, etc. I am going to be MAD if hail hits our gardens after the late cold nights already has delayed them so much, not that being mad will solve anything.

Dawn

Comments (94)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting