Nita has passed away
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (86)
Related Discussions
Mario Buatta, the Prince of Chintz, Has Passed Away
Comments (59)I did some decorating when I was young and transient and living in rented housing. During that time, my parameters were to have a flexible color scheme that could work from place to place, and also light furniture, and a lot of modular stuff that could be configured many ways. D2, Pier 1 and Ikea were my "go to" shops. Then, when I bought my first real home/house I got seriously into "decorating" and joined this forum. For me, the main goal of "decorating" was similar to what Buatta is talking about, to make my home feel comfortable for myself and my guests. I wasn't going for a certain "look" so much as the artful arrangement of the things that would add comfort to my home, plus things I liked by way of art and housewares. Gradually, due to needing a more ordered environment, I got rid of most of my "decorative items" that weren't both beautiful and functional, but I did have a large glass enclosed cabinet where I put all of them that I wanted to keep. My walls though, got pretty full up with art, and still are. And then the book thing . . . I go through regularly and cull, but I still have a LOT. So that sort of dictated that I would go with a "curated" or I guess some call it "English country" look. Now I have more "stuff" but only because it reminds me of times in my life and experiences, so I like having some of it around. I always decorated like that, just now I have lived and experienced more, so "curating" it becomes more of a chore. I got a few books on how to decorate, but not how to achieve a pre-set aesthetic, more like: how to mix patterns, how to hang photos, how to arrange furniture, how to please the eye, how to create a color scheme, etc. Learning those principles were far more useful than reams of pretty pictures of rooms that were vastly different from my own home. I learned how to take inspiration from a photo and translate the basic elements into my own, from a few shows that were on HGTV at the time, where they showed a photo of a high end designer room and then illustrated how you could create a similar look for much less. Something akin to "Design on a Dime" but not quite. And also, Lauri Ward's "Use What You Have" decorating book helped me a lot. I'm sure young folks nowdays can find stuff like this online. There are still a lot of great ideas floating around out there. The general dis-interest in creating a "home" or "nest" may just be within my family. My husband's son showed no interest in home making and family traditions until he married a woman who did, and she's in the process of re-doing the family homestead, it's nice to see. One big issue now is where to shop. The furniture stores are mostly full of poorly made stuff, and antiques are even hard to find since there are so few anymore near where I live who are interested in buying them. I wish I had time to go to auctions and garage sales and specialty shops, and peruse Craigslist and go on hunts, but I just don't. I am in a downsizing mode now anyway....See MoreBetty White has passed away
Comments (12)This broke my heart and made me smile at the same time. Betty was made an honorary forest ranger over a decade ago. When she was a girl, she wanted to be a ranger but women were not allowed to do so then. She truly was a national treasure. What a lovely life she lived....See MorePele has passed away in Brazil from cancer
Comments (7)Pele was a terrific player and recognized as such globally. I suspect he became known to US sports fans because of the few seasons he spent at the end of his career with the NY Cosmos of the now defunct first major American pro soccer league, the NASL. Many countries have their own styles of play and Pele's style was that characteristic of Brazilians - agile and with extremely competent ball skills done with flair. He was a showman without being a show-off. I've heard a few Brazilians say jokingly that they are able to play soccer with fancy footwork because all Brazilians learn how to dance the Samba at a young age....See MoreJimmy Moore of Hancock & Moore has passed away
Comments (3)I have a H&M leather chair that is 25 years old - and still in perfect condition. They definitely made quality furniture. Of course, I purchased a few of your leather kits to maintain the leather (and my other leather pieces of furniture). Have you missed having your store?...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDES10 Terrific Pass-Throughs Widen Your Kitchen Options
Can't get behind a fully closed or open-concept kitchen? Pass-throughs offer a bit of both
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Pass-Throughs Make Outdoor Dining a Breeze
Take your home’s outdoor connection to the next step with a serving window for alfresco dining
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNDeck of the Week: Pergola-Covered With a Pass-Through Window
An interior designer and an architect create an outdoor living room with strong connections to the house and yard
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLHow Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
EVENTSDon't Throw Away Another Household Item Before Reading This
Repair Cafe events around the world enlist savvy volunteers to fix broken lamps, bicycles, electronics, small appliances, clothing and more
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESCan Your Potential Contractor Pass These ‘Dealbreaker’ Tests?
Ask yourself these 5 questions before hiring a remodeler
Full Story
LIFEHow Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREThink Like an Architect: How to Pass a Design Review
Up the chances a review board will approve your design with these time-tested strategies from an architect
Full Story
COLORS OF THE YEARPantone Has Spoken: Rosy and Serene Are In for 2016
For the first time, the company chooses two hues as co-colors of the year
Full Story

bob_cville